Truck at dealership...

SpeedJunky

w/o ME it's just AWESO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received a "Check Engine Temperature" message on gauge cluster and the engine temp gauge was in the red.

This first happened 3 weeks ago while towing my TH around town to prevent the flattening of the TH tires.

This Sunday, I towed the TH (fully loaded) from Long Beach to my new home in Sylmar and it overheated climbing the hills on the 2 freeway. The outside temp was cool but I received teh same message and reading on the temp gauge.

I pulled over, popped the hood, and did a visual inspection only to find the coolant reservoir was full, there were no leaks, and no smoke either from the engine or from the exhaust.

I started pulling again and again it overheated. Pulled over again! Waiting about 4 minutes and continued on my way. The truck did not overheat again.

I took it in to the dealer and they did a preliminary check yesterday of the thermostat, etc. and couldn't find anything. Today they did more test while on the phone with Ford and they called me and told me they couldn't access the computer because the truck had software blocking access to the PCM. Basically, they couldn't run further diagnostic test without being able to retreive data from the PCM.

I've never had a tune installed or software uploaded to my PCM! I called back the service advisor and told him that I would assume complete responsibility had I tuned the engine but I reassured him that I had not touched the puter. He said they would look into it again tomorrow.

Why in the world wouldn't a tech be able to access my puter?

Have you owned the truck since it was new? Maybe a previous owner installed a tune?

LOL maybe the fuse is blown and not allowing the OBDII port to work..then there would be no communication..

its a possibility and a shot in the dark.

LOL maybe the fuse is blown and not allowing the OBDII port to work..then there would be no communication..

its a possibility and a shot in the dark.

Bwahaahahaha...is that really a possibility? Is there really a fuse tied to the OBDII port? If so, I'll call them right now and mention it. :rockwoot:

yes, there really is.
same fuse that works the CIGAR LIGHTER also works the OBDII port.

yes, there really is.
same fuse that works the CIGAR LIGHTER also works the OBDII port.

THAT'S GREAT!

My cigar lighter's fuse has been blown since day one and because I do not smoke, I've never fixed it!

ha yes sir.
always an easy fix that a lot of people do not quite no about.

If the dealership couldn't figure that the fuse was blown and called it "software blocking access" I'd be looking for a new dealership.

If the dealership couldn't figure that the fuse was blown and called it "software blocking access" I'd be looking for a new dealership.

Oh yeah, I picked it up yesterday and dropped off at another dealership this morning at 7am. They even offered me a loaner diesel!

I had a similar problem when I tried to Use a Evolution on my bros '06..Wouldn't work, So i checked fuses and found that to be the problem... If it wasn't me to check the fuses First i'd prolly never thought about it

That's just what I was thinking as I read this too.

haha same thing happened to my buddies truck the other night. he was freakin out cause his programmer wouldnt work. i went through the fuse panel cause he said his cig. lighter didnt work (since hes a smoker) and sure enough. the fuse was blown.

The blown fuse was causing the engine over temperature to light? I got the communication problem, but what caused it to go to the shop in the first place?

Back