Truck Coughing...Why?

Notorious6.0

How Bad Do You Want It??
Saturday I went to a car show with my 64 Fairlane. I pulled it and a 300 4 wheeler on the trailer and headed out. I have a 2 car gooseneck trailer. Just had the truck straight piped. No tune in the truck, stock filter. Above my house, there is a fairly steep hill, not very long, but steep. Well, going up the hill my truck starts coughing through the intake and spits a puff of black smoke every time it coughs. The cough feels like a miss or like you are stabbing the brakes. What causes this? It has been back to the dealer twice for a reflash.but that still doesn't help. It also does it sometimes witout the trailer hooked up, but it doesn't spit the puff of black smoke. This is extremely annoying. Anyone know what causes this or what needs to be done to fix it? Thanks.
N-

My truck did that, I took it in for warranty and they replaced the turbo. So my guess would be sticky vanes or a bad turbo.

Notorious6.0 said:
Saturday I went to a car show with my 64 Fairlane. I pulled it and a 300 4 wheeler on the trailer and headed out. I have a 2 car gooseneck trailer. Just had the truck straight piped. No tune in the truck, stock filter. Above my house, there is a fairly steep hill, not very long, but steep. Well, going up the hill my truck starts coughing through the intake and spits a puff of black smoke every time it coughs. The cough feels like a miss or like you are stabbing the brakes. What causes this? It has been back to the dealer twice for a reflash.but that still doesn't help. It also does it sometimes witout the trailer hooked up, but it doesn't spit the puff of black smoke. This is extremely annoying. Anyone know what causes this or what needs to be done to fix it? Thanks.
N-

what year is your truck. i would take the egr valve out and make sure it is sitting propperly.

dj

really need more model year info...and you need to scan it for codes BUT
it sounds like an egr issue.

do you have after market gauges...was the egt running a little hotter
than normal ? was the boost erratic....jumping and bucking even at
steady throttle ? puffing black smoke when it bucked ?

when mine did this it ONLY did it when i was towing...and under load...
as soon as i unhooked the trailer the thing ran fine.

if your STILL traveling/towing, unplug the egr valve (w/ the truck
turned off) and then restart the truck and see how things are (towing),
if i had to bet i would say youll not see the symptoms w/ the egr
disconnected.

scan for codes...

you can try cleaninging the egr valve....read these for more info -->

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-15.php
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-12.php

It's an 03. It does it when I'm not pulling a trailer but only when it kicks in a lower or passing gear or going up a hill. Should I take it in or try the EGR first. I don't have any gauges. Will my SCT give a code as to what is wrong? And yes, it was puffing black smoke every time it bucked. Around the hood did feel hotter than normal.

Last edited:
disconnect the egr and run it...see if it continues.
unless youre STILL covered by warranty i wouldnt take it to
any dealer.

Can someone tell me or link me to directions to unhook EGR. Also, will it hurt it to run it with the EGR unhooked?

Back