truck died tonight

powerstrokin

GO VOLS!
have a 2000 7.3 with a 6 speed and tonight it died on the freeway in rush hour. earlier i noticed when i let out on the clutch it seemed like the motor was bogging down like taking off in wrong gear but then would be fine. then when i left and got out on the road it sounded like it had a serious exhaust leak, sputtering and lose of power. made it to the side of the road and it shut off. wouldn't restart, towed it home and it started but just dosent sound right. any help or ideas what it could be i would really appreciate it. thanks

i started the truck in the daylight and now i can see that it is smoking white smoke and has a strong odor. any ideas what it could be

havent had a chance to check anything yet. out of town till saturday and just looking for a place to start on saturday morning. i thought i would start with the fuel system.

Check the fuel filter first. Also those things get goofy when the crank and cam position sensors go out.

i changed the fuel filter and drained the bowl, but it still isn't running right. it almost sounds like a loud knock on the driver side of the engine. it starts but knocks loud and has a light white smoke haze when you press on the pedal. does anybody think this could be a sensor or does it sound worse then a sensor.

Mine did that once. Waited 1/2 hr and it started and ran fine pulling my toyhauler 165 miles home. Next day started but ran rough and rattled and smoked. Made it to the dealer. The uvc harness clips were bad, replaced them and has been good for a yr or so. Just my experience, good luck.

Glen

i replasced the cam sensor today and seemed to have fixed the problem. this is the second time in the last 3 years. this time it didn't have the same symtoms as last time. last time just died as i took off from red light, just like i turned the key off, this time slowly lost power. think i may go get another cam sensor and put in glove box. TBot what is the uvc harness clips?

The uvc harness is the under valve cover harness for the inj. There are clips that hold the plugs together. When they become loose, contact will be on and off creating those symptoms. All my friends that have the cam sensor go out said it just shut off and wouldn't restart. I have not had this problem but carry a spare in the truck just in case. Good luck, hope you got it.

Glen

Look inside the connectors. Are they chalky white looking? Measure the fuel pressure and see what the pump is doing.

Cam sensor should start on a couple of key cycles. It will give up and start running.

thanks for the link to the recall. this is the second one to go out maybe get my money back aleast. i guess i need one for the glove box. where can you get the international one from?

Doug he said it was started. When the cam sensor gives out it doesnt run. When I had my 97,2000 and my 2002 I always cared an extra cam sensor and a 10mm wrench. There is a new recall finally on those sensors

Usually with the cam position sensor it just dies and won't run. But I did see one truck start to run funny, low on power, etc, and the cps was the culprit. Hope you have better luck with this one.

i had it towed home and the next day it did start but sounded like a rod was broke or something. sounded like it was internal and i thought the motor was shot. put a new sensor in to see what it would do, started up and was knocking like crazy then within a few seconds it smoothed out and is running fine.