Truck died while on a date.......

I need to figure out where my boost leak is this weekend and maybe I can redeem myself. It's only making 40 psi and the egts are 2000* I should be making 55psi on a s400 2.5 class turbo.

So now it's popping the fuse as soon as you turn the key. can someone post up a wiring diagram or give me an idea what the #9 fuse in the cab powers and gets its' power from?

My speedo started acting up before it started popping fuses no stop. And my turn signals are acting weird. You have to click the mechanism a few times in order to get the turn signals to work.

Last edited:
I'm going to try unhooking the Fuel shut off Solenoid and see if that's it. Then unhook the grid heater, check the wiring loom near the PCM, check the wiring under the battery on driver side, then I'm going to check the old auto trans harness, rear speed sensor harness.

Butter my bald biscuit.............damn spit OJ all over my keyboard!! :)

She was hot I must say.........

So I think I found the problem. The grid heater posts are shot. I disconnected the grid heater and so far so good.

Disconnected how?

The heaters are not driven by anything that uses a fuse.

The solenoids could be suspect, but is it cool enough where you are for the truck to need them?

What is this Truck again? I will look at a schematic tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

98 auto. I did an auto to manual conversion. I just unhooked the two wires that are on the grid heater and electrical taped them so they could not make contact with anything. Yes it gets cold up here but the truck gets stored in the winter time. Usually right around Halloween. The wiring diagram would be great if you could post it for me.

I don't have any clothed pictures of her..........

Would that be a permanent ban or just temporary ??
Fwiw I deleted all my grid heater nonsense and have zero solenoid issues . I cut everything back to the harness though .

I don't think she's a truck slut. I just think she's a slut in general. My truck isn't anything special. The banning I'm not sure about the banning, but a gentleman never shows his cards..... So far 2 days and no issues after the grid heater was disconnected. With my cam,timing, fuel, and compression it gives the starter a work out getting it to start.

I had to give it a shot of ether this morning she wouldn't even try to fire after 30 seconds of cranking. I'm sure the 15/50 oil doesn't help either.

Replace the internally shorted grid heater solenoids and try again

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

So with the grid heater disconnected it still popped that fuse tonight. I was slowing down to take a turn at 5mph and it popped. I moved the wires that are on the one soleniod closest to the radiator. Replaced the fuse and it popped. Wiggled the wires again and replaced the fuse and drove it the 3 miles back home. The truck has also been sitting since Friday if that makes any difference.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-non-powertrain/1799017-full-97-wiring-diagram.html

The #9 Fuse Powers just about everything. lol

If you have an multimeter put it to the ohms setting, pull out the ASD relay, and stick one of the probes in the PDC connector closest to the firewall. Then stick the other probe in the negative battery terminal. The meter should read about 4 ohms. The fuse will plow at ~1.25 ohms or less. Now start wiggling wires and unplugging things.

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of. It wasn't going to be simple. The truck is going into storage tomorrow. I'm writing down notes tonight of things to tackle in the spring. It did it again when gettin' it, up and down the hills last night. All of the wires are getting relocated in the spring. I want to run all of the wires and vacuum lines through the cowl at the bottom of the windshield to clean up the engine bay. Plus its easier when I'm taking the motor out every year to freshen up and replace what's needed.

Back