Truck Dies At Cold Start

Bruno2

My truck gave me a miss a few days ago when I started it up in the morning. The next day it did the same thing. Now whenever I start it up in the morning it dies instantly. It does this repeatedly until I give it some pedal and get it a little warm. While doing this the engine runs and misses trying to die several times. It takes about 5 minutes to get it to where it will run. Once I get it running it runs just fine for the rest of the day. Until it sits overnight. Whenever I am cranking it in the morning I get smoke so it is getting fuel.

Anybody run into this before??

Was it giving you a CEL or anything? Mine isnt giving me the CEL even when driving. I was wondering if it might be the hpop b/c I am running bigger inj's with a 6 pos total diesel performance chip. The engine is freshly overhauled except for the hpop(stock 15°) and all the sensors are original.

It gave me a CEL today and stayed on. It gave me trouble as usual this morning and even gave up some later after I had been driving it awhile. However, this morning when I got the no start I did some checking. The HPOP res was all the way full to the fill plug when I checked it. I have to pull the sensor that is on top of the res to check this one b/c it has the allen head and it is stripped. Whenever I put the sensor back on and hooked it up the truck started right up and gave me no problems from there.

I have an AE , but , my laptop is in the shop. I need to call and get it back so I can run some data stream. I havent had time either , but , I need to hook up my HPO gauge I had made so I can see if I am getting enough oil to even start it .

What is enough psi to start 700-800?

I think 500 is minimum. Are you talking about the iap sensor? Put a scanner on it and get the code. My truck never threw a code before hand, it just shut off and then the light came on (thanks for the warning). That'll ruin your day.

Last edited:
I have the same identical problem? What is exactly a "CEL". Id like to increase the performance of the motor. Would replacing the HPOP and getting larger injectors be the first start?

Whats a good source to go to for these parts?

CEL is the check engine light. If you're looking for quick mods, do an intake, exhaust and a ts chip to start. If you aren't happy after that, then go for injectors and an upgraded hpop. The stock injectors suck on the obs trucks though so be prepared to spend between 1100 and up depending on how hot you want it. Start with swamps diesel for injectors. For the rest of the mods, just do a search online and shop around. There are a lot of places that will give you a good deal on something like the intake but you'll find the exhaust cheaper somewhere else. Just call and start asking questions. Most places will put a package deal together shipping and all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I will start with the intake and exhaust like you recommended. Any places online you recommend before I do a search?

Look in the vendors section if we have one.

It has to be this damn ignition switch. I am starting to see a faint battery light and that is an indication its the switch. Also the problem comes and goes so I know its electrical and not mechanical. The truck has been acting fine for the last month not even a hiccup.