truck idles but thats all

fatty

VE
After I replaced my headgasket and got my pickup running last Friday, I drove 50-75 miles with no problems. Driving to a bonfire I'm cruising along at 50 and suddenly the engine kind of stuttered, like it almost died for a second so my first thought is I'm finally getting the 1/4 tank issue. Nope, still had half tank. So I keep going and start climbing a hill and lose power completely, and the engine kept doing the same deal as before; almost as though it had air in the lines. So I parked it and rode with my buddy the rest of the way. About six hours later we get back to it and it drove perfectly fine for a mile or so until it started again. Got it towed home and I've tried everything I can think; new fuel filter, no fuel leaks, air filter is fine, pushrods are all in place. It will start fine and idle but any pressing on the skinny pedal and it starts to bog down giving a small puff of black smoke and a second later a cloud of white smoke. Except occasionally with the airdog OFF it will rev fine. Also the rpms rise noticably when i turn the key off which turns off the airdog also. The only changes from before are Orings, 60 pound valve springs, and I advanced the timing from 3/16 to 1/4. Anyone have an idea whats wrong??

Teflon Fitting said:
It will start fine and idle but any pressing on the skinny pedal and it starts to bog down giving a small puff of black smoke and a second later a cloud of white smoke.

This is probably the most telling thing... I don't know what it means, but it'll probably make sense after you figure it out. LOL

I'd check to make sure you're getting throttle travel at the pump, and then pull the top of the pump off and make sure the spring is pulling the big fulcrum lever, that's moving the collar and nothing is obviously varnished up or broken.

Last edited:
i wonder if you crack the pump gear and it has sliped timing? Or Key Sheared on pump shaft. Just a thought? Or pump has had it.

i wonder if you crack the pump gear and it has sliped timing? Or Key Sheared on pump shaft. Just a thought? Or pump has had it.

I got the pump off today. The gear looks fine, and the key is still on the shaft. The only thing I noticed in the pump is that the delivery valves had a bunch of rubber pieces in them from the shutoff plunger.

We had this same thing happen to us on our JD 4020. JD used Roosa-Master DB pumps on them, and Cummins uses a Bosch VE (duh), but the symptoms are the exact same. Next time it's running, unhook the return line from the pump. Granted, it's gonna p!$$ fuel all over the ground, but if there's a bunch of black little bits of rubber shrapnel that comes out of it, and then the issue goes away, your pump seals have $h!+ themselves, and you're in need of a rebuild. Give it a try and let me know what comes of it.

We had this same thing happen to us on our JD 4020. JD used Roosa-Master DB pumps on them, and Cummins uses a Bosch VE (duh), but the symptoms are the exact same. Next time it's running, unhook the return line from the pump. Granted, it's gonna p!$$ fuel all over the ground, but if there's a bunch of black little bits of rubber shrapnel that comes out of it, and then the issue goes away, your pump seals have $h!+ themselves, and you're in need of a rebuild. Give it a try and let me know what comes of it.

The pump is sitting in about 200 pieces right now and none of the seals are cracked or chipped or otherwise broken. At least not that I can notice.