truck lopes when cold

05lonestar

I have an 05 ram2500 auto that has a similar p pumped 24v lope to it at idle. Ill start the truck after being off for several hours, let it run for a few minutes, and as soon as I put it in gear and am on the brake, it lopes as if it has a hot rod cam in it.... I have many aftermarket parts on it and a brand new set of 150 hp injectors in it. Its been doing this fir quite some time, but seems to lope more with the larger injectors. Once its driven for about a half mile or so,the lope goes away and the truck runs smoth. Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

Thats exactly what it does..... My rail pressure at idle is 65k-7k and in gear its at 85k-9k

Thats exactly what it does..... My rail pressure at idle is 65k-7k and in gear its at 85k-9k

While the lope isn't "correct," the RP increase is. It takes more fuel to hold 750 rpm while stopped in gear than in N or P. The increased fuel has a corresponding increase in pressure commanded.

Last edited:
That is not at all what I said. I said only that the small increase in RP when in gear is correct. This is applies to your problem by ruling out the RP increase as a factor.

My 4wd race truck has been doing this ever since I built it. Went through several sets of injectors with the same results. The only thing that stopped it was when i switched to Exergy injectors. Now it doesnt do it at all.

Does it blow white smoke when you first start it and do you plug it in?
My 08 does the same thing but it's worse if I don't plug it in, after it warms up it's just fine, I have 100% over Exergy's and it's a 6.7
It's just unburnt fuel

That is not at all what I said. I said only that the small increase in RP when in gear is correct. This is applies to your problem by ruling out the RP increase as a factor.

I was asking if thats a normal side effect. Thanks for the input, but is this harmful to the engine?

Does it blow white smoke when you first start it and do you plug it in?
My 08 does the same thing but it's worse if I don't plug it in, after it warms up it's just fine, I have 100% over Exergy's and it's a 6.7
It's just unburnt fuel

No white smoke, and I never plug it in. it does it in warm weather also...

I noticed mine did the same thing when I was in Colorado in the beginning of the year. Most of the mornings were in the upper 20s but when it dipped below 20* it started to lope in park and in gear. It has yet to get in the 20s here in south east Texas this winter so I had never experienced the problem before.

I chalked it up to an EFILive fix as well. Thanks for confirming.

Mine to lopes a little when it's cold. And it back fires a couple times when it's really cold.

Back