Truck noises from age and miles

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
Well, I turned 90k the other day, and I have been noticing more lately that my truck just doesnt drive as "tight" for lack of a better word. It squeaks and makes random noises here and there, and just doesnt feel new anymore. Being almost 3 years old now, I can understand.

My question is though, what all needs to be checked, lubed, tightened, replaced and so on to make a truck feel new again? I dont mean back to factory perfect, but back to what it felt like at 20 or 30k you know? Thanks!

Mine is about the same, but no squeaks. The steering is looser than it used to be. I am going to replace the bushings.

I dont get a squeak very often, but the steering is definately loose. Thinking about dual steering stabilizers sometime down the road and also new bushings. 35s are hard on that stuff Im sure!

Might want to check out your unit bearings(front wheel bearings).

Sway bar end links. And then while the motor is running, have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Look at the Outter Tie Rod Ends and all the rest of the joints in the steering. Good chance the majority of them are wiped out.

Now here is the key. If your buddy turns the wheel from 10 to 2 and then stops or turns it really slow so you can't see the play, immediately punch him for being a jackass. Then tell him to go look while you do it. While he crouches down to look at the steering, blow the horn. Then have him resume his duties behind the wheel. Expect a horn honk or two, but smile knowing you got him before he got you.

works good when there are air horns behind the front bumper. I had a friend who would tell people...man I think I ran something over this morning...can you check it out for me....then a quick blast from the horns...then a he received the one finger salute.

Yeah, when we were installing them, my wife hit the horn by accident when I was working on them. My ears are still ringing...I think I lose some of my hearing :badidea:

Back on subject, your dual steering stabilizers will help stiffen things up, but remember that if you have a problem with your ball joints or something, they won't fix it, just hides it until it gets really bad.

When was the last time you changed your shocks? I know mine have been on the truck for almost 60k. I'm sure they are done.

My shocks are toast. They have 75K on them. Wanted to get the engine running right first. Now some new shocks and then the new bushings......then a set of twins. LOL If it doesn't drive any better, who cares, its faster. LOL

My shocks are toast. They have 75K on them. Wanted to get the engine running right first. Now some new shocks and then the new bushings......then a set of twins. LOL If it doesn't drive any better, who cares, its faster. LOL

:rockwoot:

And to think just last week the only money you wanted to put into this truck was to purchase enough fuel to burn it to the ground.

And to think just last week the only money you wanted to put into this truck was to purchase enough fuel to burn it to the ground.

Does everyone call Doug and talk to him about burning there trucks to the ground. I'm guilty of it.

WOOOOSAAA! WOOOOSAAA! you guys take this engine way too seriously...

I'm pretty certain my steering box is wiped out... it has play straight ahead, but make a left or right turn, it's tight as can be. It's really annoying on a high crown highway... I might as well be driving a lawnmower...

Back