truck purchase, need advice

FordGuy24

Josh Mink
I'm going to look at a 1992 2wd, whats some things to look for? common issues? thanks

Just make sure if you slam the door hard it doesnt disinegrate into a pile of rust. lol

Rotten fuel lines and rust. I can't remember if those had KDPs but check for a cracked front gear case.

thanks for the info....how weak are the auto trans in these? truck has around 210k miles

thanks for the info....how weak are the auto trans in these? truck has around 210k miles
You know Lavon, no problem even if it sucks... :)

Seriously, firstgen Josh ran 13's with his and I don't think he had much done to the transmission.

You'll probably need a rebuild if the trans is stock, but those cost nothing compared to the other trucks with no lockup, etc. They do have KDPs, so watch that, otherwise rust, they're pretty solid trucks. What you gonna do with it?

it would replace my integra as my dd, id paint it and set it up to be able to tow my Furd

92 Dodge Cummins 2wd (D-250)
automatic tranny
ODO stopped working at 185k right after i bought it. I would guess it has around 210k on it now.
it gets 20mpg
it has a couple small oil leaks.
I have owned this truck for around 2 years and no major issues... its very reliable and runs very strong.
seats are pretty rough
door panels are pretty rough
couple rust holes/bubbling above the rear wheels, rust hole on passenger rocker, faded hood/roof
5in smoke stack
running 25psi Boost
tweaked VE
75hp injectors
banks Boost gauge
overdrive controller
tool box
half of a engine hoist mounted near the tail gate
stainless steel bumper

Currently has a coolant leak on the passenger side lower water neck/junction but im in the process of fixing it.

Headgasket maybe? Smell the coolant, check for oil. Check oil for water.

im told its a simple small gasket to fix the coolant leak but 200k+ miles and 25psi kinda has me wondering...planing on looking it over and driving it tommarow evening..ill keep y'all posted

Another problem rust area is on top of the cab above the windshield.

Shoot, 210k IMO thats low miles!!

And if you can, get it on a rack and check the front suspension out.

Remember a Head gasket is $90 and can be changed in a few Hours unless you need to deck the head ($60).

And if you need a transmission build we can take care of that.

Lavon

They suck i would not buy it because it has a weak injection pump that does not make any power and they are no fun to drive. Plus the pumps are to lite. LOL... And they don't have lock-up so really they are JUNK!!

retorque the headbolts to 125 when you get it....also, if it is turned up, keep an eye on coolant temps while towing up grades. Kind of a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people overheat their junk.

check where the steering box mounts to the frame, they are known to crack out right there on some trucks. I've got 246,000 miles on my stock trans and its only been rebuilt once and its got over 300hp through it. These VE's are fun pumps and will give you the power you need.

well I looked the truck over and test drove it, very solid truck with alot of potential...if the deal goes through I may own my first cummins