Truck shopping

Ghostman

24v crazy
Looking at a couple trucks this weekend.

First one:
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4929385378.html

Second one:
http://www.jvrautosales.com/inventory/view/8259397/2007-Dodge-Ram-2500-4WD-Quad-Cab-140.5%22-ST-houston-TX (it's priced wrong, actually $13,500)

Third one:
http://www.dieselsintexas.com/2006-Dodge-Ram-2500-SLT-Quad-Cab-4X4-5-9L-Cummins-Diesel-Auto-Fulshear-Texas-77441/5380312

Any opinions. Trying to stick with a 06/07 5.9L 4wd quad or mega. Seems the megas are getting a lot more for them though. I've talked to the owner of the first one and seems straight shooter, good service records, no issues, but still on stock injectors and transmission. Second and third one are dealers so who knows.

I kind of know what to look for, but appreciate all advice as I am a little knew to common rail trucks.

Any particular reason for the 5.9, other than EPA is scuury?

Personally, I'd get a 6.7 for a driver. Good deals can be had on early ones, and arguably more reliable with stock "accessories" removed.

Any particular reason for the 5.9, other than EPA is scuury?

Personally, I'd get a 6.7 for a driver. Good deals can be had on early ones, and arguably more reliable with stock "accessories" removed.

I like the 5.9L and don't want to mess with the "accessories" and all that junk. The 5.9L will make plenty of power for me and probably cheaper than the 6.7L. Also, I already know the in/outs of the 47/48 transmissions, so not much on the 68RFE.

I've been seeing a LOT of reman injectors failing and noone standing behind their work, as far as the 5.9s go.
IE; if a place builds an engine, puts the injectors THEY recommend in and the engine schits the bed, it's the customer's fault and noone else takes the blame for a faulty product they recommended or sold.

IMHO, from the feedback I've been seeing and reading, the best platform is a deleted 6.7 with head studs and very conservative tuning.
At least the 6.7s have a far better injector that's designed for a more robust life cycle than the 5.9 injector is.

Mark.

I just put a bid on a 2005 here in Oklahoma and have been wondering if it will have fuel system problems as well.. At 209k, if I end up with it I'm really hoping they last me atleast this first year. It ran fine when I heard it run the other day.

I picked up an 06 mega last may. First thing I did was change the injectors and add a Fass. It was noisy when idling and had a weird smoke trail at half throttle.

What were yall paying for them? I think I'm gonna go for the first one of i can get home done some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a bank repo with bad transmission, and I kind of low balled it. So if I get it bought the price isn't going to be similar to a normal truck. Lol

I like the first one. Remember you can get a new seat cover and cushion from dodge. I did a couple when I worked there.

I meant to say get him down some. I'm thinking $15.5k. He is still on stock injectors and transmission so I'm sure injectors will be coming up soon and probably transmission.

Strongly considering building my own Mega Dually, once again.
It's not like I don't have 2 of nearly every major component that I'll need. :cool:

Mark.

I love my mega and couldn't see myself in any other truck. Get on Craigslist in other states and see what you find.

Just was browsing through Copart and saw a decent 2007.5 (6.7), SIX SPEED MANUAL, Mega Cab 2500 with @ 185,000 miles, for $18,500 buy it now.

Mark.

I think you probably already know what to look for. Blowby, condition of frontend and transmission. I like that all the ones you dug up had the manual shift transfer case. Mines the dial setup and I don't trust it. I don't think injectors on these are necessarily that bad. Most guys have had good luck with the BMS injectors, and a lot of the larger flowing ones are based off of them. The most attractive of course are the 06 & 07 because of the tuning options, I wonder if they aren't the most likely to pop a ring as well, something that the 6.7's don't seem to have problems with. On the flip side it seems like you can thrash on the 5.9's pretty hard without having to worry about rods or head gasket. I really like my 5.9 so far. I really haven't had a chance to mess with it yet (life gets in the way), but I put a lot of miles on it with pretty much just regular service. Mine gets 15-19 mpg stock, and the guys that do the mods you've considering seem to do a little better. Only subtle differences I can think of from that you might want to check into is I believe they changed the valve body part way through the 06 models. Might want to see if one is more desirable then the other.

What were yall paying for them? I think I'm gonna go for the first one of i can get home done some.

The car lot was asking 26k. I talked them down to 23k. I did have a large down. Diesels in general hold their value well here.

Looks like the one I linked above on Copart has sold.
Who took the deal? Was it someone here?
Inquiring (and nosey) minds want to know! :hehe:

Mark.

Well I've got enough cash on me to buy any of the three listed, but I just don't want to spend it all lol. Going to see them all tomorrow. My biggest worries are old bad injectors, broken ring, and worn out transmission. Two of those can be replaced/fixed pretty easy.

I'm not sure what the obsession with the 6.7 is. They need studs before 5.9s, rods before 5.9s, the 68rfe costs a fortune to build and you can't fix them by yourself.

The rings on 06/07s are prone to breaking but I'd imagine you could tell by the redneck blow by test with the oil cap or if you're really paranoid pull the manifold out half an inch and you can hear it. Regardless, there are thousands of them on the road with no issues. Injectors are less reliable but quality builds with good filtration and rail pressure management seem to last a good while.

Id wait for a truck with a built trans and maybe some other supporting mods. The trans usually don't hold their value and you can save a good chunk of change versus paying for a new build yourself.

Back