truck shuts or backs down while running

HIGHGEAR

hey guys need some opinions here.The other night running down the highway on cruise at 75mph the truck just all of sudden started slowing down like i took my foot off the throttle.So i kicked it out of cruise and pushed the throttle down and got nothing, truck slowed down to 40mph and then i got throttle control again.Got the truck back up to about 72mph and the same thing happen again. Truck slow down to about 40mph got control again, by this time I'm going up a mountain and got the mph up to about 60mph and then did it again.I pulled over plugged smarty in and put it back to stock and never had the problem again.I've had this smarty now for about 8 months with no problems what so ever.This thing is great.Plugged smarty back in the next day put it back on 9 and truck ran great no problems.Went to work this morning truck running great got on it hard a bit to pass some cars about 90mph, back down to 72mph truck running good. Then next thing you know, it starting slowing down again this time the engine shut off and i pulled over. Took 3 times to start but got truck running and made it to work. Anyone got any clues what this might be? thanks

it probably has nothing to do with the smarty. It sounds like you have a clogged fuel filter or a lift pump going bad. I'd start with the filter and see how that does. It that doesn't work, you can try testing your LP or just replace it with something aftermarket. If you have a stock one... they're known for going bad.

You should fill out your sig too so, other will know what you already have installed. It will help figure things out.

Since you posted in the 3rd Gen forum, I assume you have an 03 or newer, though what you mentioned sounds just like when the 2nd Gen trucks TPS or Inj. pump fails....If you fill out your signature it may help us out though.

here's what I got on my truck, it has 96,000 miles on it.

2005 quad cab 4x4 600 auto SMARTY,autometer gauges egt,boost,trans,BD intercooler,cfm,mbrp muffler and cat delete pipe,suncoast valve body

HIGHGEAR said:
hey guys need some opinions here.The other night running down the highway on cruise at 75mph the truck just all of sudden started slowing down like i took my foot off the throttle.So i kicked it out of cruise and pushed the throttle down and got nothing, truck slowed down to 40mph and then i got throttle control again.Got the truck back up to about 72mph and the same thing happen again. Truck slow down to about 40mph got control again, by this time I'm going up a mountain and got the mph up to about 60mph and then did it again.I pulled over plugged smarty in and put it back to stock and never had the problem again.I've had this smarty now for about 8 months with no problems what so ever.This thing is great.Plugged smarty back in the next day put it back on 9 and truck ran great no problems.Went to work this morning truck running great got on it hard a bit to pass some cars about 90mph, back down to 72mph truck running good. Then next thing you know, it starting slowing down again this time the engine shut off and i pulled over. Took 3 times to start but got truck running and made it to work. Anyone got any clues what this might be? thanks

2005 2500 quad cab 600 auto afe stage2 w/proguard BD intercooler,autometer gauges egt,boost,trans,cfm,SMARTY,mbrp muffler and cat delete pipe,suncoast valve body

Last edited:
Almost sounds like the FCA isn't allowing enough fuel to the rail...you got a rail pressure guage?

steved