Truck won't Run....grrrrrr

Laramie4x4

I'm still FASTER
Hey people.. happy new year....I have an issue with a truck I was doing some work on for a friend.... I had the put new arp studs in and new head gaskets..reassembled it and did a egr delete..plus put an ats aurora 3000 on it..the truck also has a afe stage 2 and superchips flask pac programmer on it.. the truck did have some nock off turbo which was non vgt and was oil and water cooled.. the shop before me did some weird resistor set up im guessing for the turbo vain module...Now I have the plug left over which was for the egr valve..and another one just like it but a 6 pin flat exactly like the egr valve one just one more pin and a double pin similar to the air filter restriction plug but with a heaveir looking plastic shoulder and its grey... I have gone over every plug countless times and havent found anything loose or missing its companion.. the truck cranks.. i filled the fuel filter housing..it stuters almost turns all the way over...I have the ats code free electronics ready to wire in.. put what could I be missing... I'm normally a cummins person..so I could use so ford knowledge.. thanks Michael.

This truck should be running some sort of custom tuned SCT. The EGR system(valve) needs to be turned off as well as the VGT nonsense. The best way is via a SCT tuner, but that would not preclude it from starting up(would probably throw a CEL). The turbo sounds like it may have been a non VGT garret/turbonetics. Was there anything stamped on the compressor housing. Either way that does not matter now. This said plug, do you have a picture of it? as I cant quite gather what your talking about. Where about is the plug located on the engine. There is two plugs close to the EGR valve plug for the throttle plate and for the oil cooler. Did you do all of this work in the truck or did you lift the cab?

yeah the turbo was suppossed to be a bd thruster...but it wasn't it had a percision turbo casting on it...and the plug is a few inches to the left from the egr valve plug..it looks exactly the same...just one more pin...I know he needs a better tuner...but he is looking to do a cummins swap later on...and yes i did all the work with the cab on...was not fun at all... I wanted to throw some c-4 on it and blow it up numerous times...as for pics....im at home now...but I will get some in a few hours...for you to see...

What year is the truck. 03-04 it could be the plug from a removed throttle body. Still the truck should run. How long have you cranked it? Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes of solid cranking to reprime the HPOP system. 1 minute crank, 5 minute cool down on the starter. Normally about 30 seconds after you see the low pressure oil gauge start showing pressure it will fire. Prob. run rough as hell for a few minutes or even until it's driven from trapped air in the high pressure system.

yeah its an 04 and I have primed the fuel..and have oil pressure.... it seems like its not getting fuel though.. cuz thats the only thing lacking in my mind...im really at a loss with this thing..

HPOP oil leak? No hpo will cause no fuel too. Can you hear the lift pump running when you turn the key? 03-04 or late 04 engine? the early ones have flexible hoses to the hpop rails, late builds have the 2 piece stand pipes. Stand pipes do leak and should be replaced each time. Only other thing I can think of with that plug is the MAF in he air intake tube.

the truck was built 09/03.... yeah I can here the pump... no leaks visiable.. I replaced the pipe that goes into the head out of the high pressure oil tube....but i dont understand the flexible tubes you are talking about...

It's a late build engine. It is one or the other, the stand pipe system is what you replaced. Early build had the flexible high pressure hoses. How long do you think you have cranked it?

its a 2004...but the build tag says 09/03!!! and yeah the stand pipes were the non flex ones... and it was funny ford considered it a early build truck but it had those pipes in it... I was kinda shocked.. they really had no clue when I was buying head gaskets for it...they were more worried about the dowel pin size.. but the kits come with 18 and 20mm ...it was kinda funny.. I have cranked it for a while...enough to make it start once and almost stay running but i had the starter still going cuz it would die right away...I'm getting a white smoke also...

I ran my snap on modus on it... ran the injector cycle on it.. works fine... and for hpop pressure was around 2200 psi... I think.. I have replaced numerous 6.0L hpop pumps.. I think I have a good grasp for when they are going or are out... and no codes...

???....I wish I could be of more help. Get a gauge on the fuel supply and check the pressure to the injectors.

well you guys are helping.. thanks.. i wil get pics of the plugs and do some more testing...

here is the pic
0104001415a-1.jpg

no help guys....

the plug circuled looks like a throttle egr valve motor the other plug with the big circle around it is also egr related. that won't stop it from running. definetly need to check. all other wire connections. and the ground for the ficm. and the 3 plug harnesses for the ficm. sounds like were missing something simple. had one today. it was the inj wire harness to the ficm as soon as i moved it she fired up.but whats odd is you say ur getting white smoke out the tail pipe. sounds electrical. a modis should pick it up.

Yeah those appear to be EGR and throttle and as I said before they would not preclude the truck from starting.

Back