Truck won't start after 5 speed swap

7inchstack

diesel dork
So a couple weeks ago I swapped the auto out for a manual, the truck sat as I was gathering stock parts to put back into it. So today I got everything on the truck and went to start it, all the starter does is click click click. Check battery and was alittle weak so I threw a new battery in it, still same thing. Checked the wire leads and everything and no loose connections. Went down to the auto parts store and bought a brand new starter throw it in same thing just click click click, pulled the starter back out and tested it and works fine outa the truck, threw it back in and won't work. I even took jumper cables and ran power straight to the starter and jumped it and still just does the click click click. What else could it be?? I push started the truck and runs fine not locked up or anything. I'm completely stumped and everyone I've asked is stumped to. Any ideas guys? I'm pullin my hair out over this truck

Yea it's a SB 3850 and I'm using the spacer and still no go. U can hear it almost like hitting something in there (sounds like a hammer tapping on the bell housing). Is it possible it's not meshing with the flywheel? I figured all starters would be the same

Also just found when I spin the motor by hand u can here something grinding down by the starter. Then when I loosen the bolts on the starter the sound goes away. Are there different size spacers maybe?

Was the clutch for a 12v, or was it for a 3rd gen? I'm wondering if its the wrong flywheel for the app and the ring gear is in the wrong location.

Pull the tranny out and you'll at least be able to see whats grinding.

Yea me and my buddy swapped he had this 5 speed and clutch in his 96 and mines a 96 also everything worked on his just not on mine