"True" Twin synchronized Turbo system?

gavngrav

Just thinking out loud. What would be the benefit of running a "true" synchronized twin system on CR's? For instance, if you fabbed a exhaust manifold to run two 62's. per 3 cylinders. The manifold would "isolate" 3 cylinders per each turbo. Tie in exhausts to exit and run "two" smaller yet separate intercoolers into the each corresponding intakes. 3 on 3 with synchronized boost from each turbo. Would this work,spool and be productive? Again just thinking out loud and bored. :st:

It's possible with the right charger selection, but not worth it. best results are from compounding chargers, not parallel.

A single stage charger isn't capable of a high enough pressure ratio to really make it feasible, and typically, the smaller the charger, the lower the max PR. You'd be better off running a 75mm single than two 62's.

A single stage charger isn't capable of a high enough pressure ratio to really make it feasible, and typically, the smaller the charger, the lower the max PR. You'd be better off running a 75mm single than two 62's.

this

SEMA2007007.jpg

SEMA2007006.jpg

What would the point be to a set up like that?? Bragging rights?? Or just something out of the norm?? if so I can here you there.. It would be a lot easyer on a V8..

imho it would not be worth it on a I6. compounds would be a lot simpler and cheaper to..

Wouldn't the man advantage be flow at lots of rpm's. not necessary more pressure?

Not so go to tow at 1600rpm, but very usefull at 5000rpm.

The bigger V8 gassers run twins, but the ones running twins run around 10,000 rpm.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the man advantage be flow at lots of rpm's. not necessary more pressure?

Not so go to tow at 1600rpm, but very usefull at 5000rpm.

The bigger V8 gassers run twins, but the ones running twins run around 10,000 rpm.

theoretically yes; I would say that if a 'high flow' head & cam setup were used, the combination could yield some quick-spooling results and decent power levels.

it's all about the proper turbo selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cummins head is still too limited in terms of flow, to make use of a low pressure, lots of flow setup like mentioned above, VGT turbo's or otherwise. They still need the air to be rammed down the throat, in order to actually get enough in the cylinder to make use of it.

theoretically yes; I would say that if a 'high flow' head & cam setup were used, the combination could yield some quick-spooling results and decent power levels.

it's all about the proper turbo selection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! On the reverse side of this (exhaust) I'm going to pull my FTE resonator, I'm curious as to why I constantly end up at 60-62psi of drive, no matter how much i "open the gate". maybe I'm at the flow limit of the housing and dual 1" pucks or is that resonator the problem? I'll know this weekend. :)

Yes! On the reverse side of this (exhaust) I'm going to pull my FTE resonator, I'm curious as to why I constantly end up at 60-62psi of drive, no matter how much i "open the gate". maybe I'm at the flow limit of the housing and dual 1" pucks or is that resonator the problem? I'll know this weekend. :)

My guess is going to be housing, but curious to see your results.

My guess is going to be housing, but curious to see your results.

It's 5" turbo back with the 17" resonator at the end of the down pipe. I'm betting your right, I've run into the limit of the housing. I hacked up my original pipe to mesh with the resonator. Purchased a new pipe for a drop in fix. Cheap test IMHO now that I'm sure I'm maxed out on that turbo.

After I swap the resonator out, if there's no change I'll keep turning the screw back until it pops off, pull the turbo to make sure everything is "cool" under the cover. If that's the case, re-assemble and drive it until I'm ready to swap it out for bigger later

This is in no way putting down the FTE resonator. The idea works freaking awesome! Since I don't daily the truck much and I do miss that sound. :)

The BMW 335d still has the best turbo setup I've ever encountered. Rather complex, but works awesome. Full boost from 1,500 to 4,500rpm. Small turbo is an itty bitty VGT about the size of the oil fill cap....and at about 2,000rpm it is bypassed completely, and the larger charger takes over. The transition from small to big turbo is all very seamless, and a large powerband is the result.

074236.1-lg.jpg