trust the mech. boost gauge or quad/map sensor?

D-LUX

Just another white guy
just like the title reads...I'm installing a boost elbow this weekend and would like to know which to trust

isspro boost gauge will read 20 ish psi under WOT and the quad will usually read about 28 to 30...

i know the gauge reads correct been tested with shop air and im pretty sure it doesnt leak where im drawing pressure.. its hooked up using a boost bolt that runs into the intake plate.

any advice or thoughts?

fueling on truck is just a quad adr w/ stock injecors

The gauge IMO because I'd guess that the quad is doing some sort of boost fooling to increase the fueling but I may be wrong.

Ryan

I'd also lean more towards the mechanical gauge as the map sensors on these aren't known to be the most accurate. However, 28-30 sounds more realistic for a boost number for your setup. How're your egt's?

*edit* you might put the elbow in first, 20 might not be far off with a stock wastegate.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Getting up to speed it hovers around 1000* falls when I shift but the new 35's and the stock 3.55 gears don't help much

When it's cruising the gauge and the quad seem to be about the same but when you stand on it the Quad reads a bit higher... I thought about moving the boost port to the intake elbow easier to seal the fitting there IMO

Oh and wot pulls will reach 1400 tune is the 3000 series on level 5, but by then it's moving good and I'm letting out of it... I'm pretty easy on this truck

Last edited:
I'd say your mech. Gauge is accurate. Just because in my experience a box or programmer will have boost fooling to some extent to provide added fueling. Don't touch the gauge till after you install the boost elbow.

Ryan

Well the quad is getting sold now anyhow... Truck was surging around 2000 rpm and ran like ****... Unplugged the box and all the sensors now runs like a top... Going to send it back and then sell it. ran all the codes pump isn't on its way out... Only 15,000 on it with the air dog 150 from day one

Thinking about putting in a decent set of 150's from cpp and a timing only box like the ts MVP... Truck tows on occasion, only light though maybe 10k lbs. max

From what I've read not speaking from experience just hear say. You may want I find a set of SDX injectors. Or something like that I read some threads where someone mentioned cpp injectors and they were told to buy a "good" set of injectors rather than cpp. So I'd say do some searching first. I may be totally wrong though I'm not for sure.

Ryan

I've had pretty good luck with the Cpp injectors I'm running, they're fairly clean for a 7x.014 and I had dap injectors before these with no complaints. You might call around and see if someone has some in stock as the wait times can be horrible. I think sdx isn't building any new injectors for a while because the wait time has been so long for nozzles but you might call them and check first.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I would say if you can stand the wait go with SDX. I have there 6x.016s in my truck and love them. Easy to control the smoke and still can get 21mpg on the highway.

Well the quad is getting sold now anyhow... Truck was surging around 2000 rpm and ran like ****... Unplugged the box and all the sensors now runs like a top... Going to send it back and then sell it. ran all the codes pump isn't on its way out... Only 15,000 on it with the air dog 150 from day one

Thinking about putting in a decent set of 150's from cpp and a timing only box like the ts MVP... Truck tows on occasion, only light though maybe 10k lbs. max

Learn how to tune, and that problem would have easily gone away. Everyone wants the quad because its so aggressive, but doesnt wanna take the time to tune around the quirks it has from being so aggressive..

That said, ISSPRO gauges are junk, done installs, and they all seem to read off, or sketchy. I stick to autometer's.

On my truck, my autometer boost gauge usually shows around 5-8psi cruise boost, dependent on what speed im going, but my quad always shows 0-2/3 psi cruise boost...when reaching higher boost levels(25+) the quad and autometer read very very close to the same numbers...but on the low level, the quad reads lower then what my autometer mechanical reads.

Your boost and egt's seem normal, however, boost seems low, but thats dependent on what HP level you have the quad set too. with it set on kill, you should be seeing 30+ psi

Tuning was not the issue, mins and the max's were set were it ran great no sudden gains when going through the pedel throw.

I did mess with the quad a bunch and wrote a few custom tunes that the truck responded well too.. the apps is what caused the surge and is now fixed..

I had the quad for over a year and loved it. just got tired of always fussing with it..

btw the isspro was tested using shop air, right within spec

Last edited: