truth about conversion? should I ?

crewcabxlt

got a chance to buy a 99 24v and a 95 12v cheap from a guy who was going to p-pump 24v. i also have a 98 12v 215 hp parts motor with a rebuilt pump. should i build a 24v p-pump? my current motor in my ford has been a great set-up. broad powerband, lots of torque,good fuel economy, starts good cold. does the 24v head really outflow 12v head? will it make alot of torque? can i put nozzles on 24v injectors and lower pop pressure to 260 bar to make timing more straitforward? do i have to buy hi dollar lines? is it that much better than a 12v? help appreciated.

If the current engine in your ford is still running good and not giving you any problems I'd leave it alone. No sense in making stuff more complicated than it needs to be. But what are your goals for your truck. I just realized that you've got a VE truck. Personally, I'd just drop the 12v in your ford and mod it. Yes the 24v head does flow better but is it worth the hassle of converting one to a p-pump if you've already got a perfectly good 12v sitting around? Not in my opinion. Unless your going for all out power in which case, yes, the 24v head would be beneficial.

can i put nozzles on 24v injectors and lower pop pressure to 260 bar to make timing more straitforward?

Terry, let me give you some numbers rather than an opinion. The 12v injector needs 53psi seat pressure to create 300BAR, the 24v injector needs 32psi seat pressure to create 300BAR. A difference of 0.005" installed height alters the opening pressure 30BAR on the 24v injector. So, to achieve the same rate of the 12v compressioin spring, a 24v injector would need the opening pressure set to ~ 180BAR, and this would soley be a crutch. Needless to say lowering the opening pressure to the common range of 12v injectors being 260-280BAR doesn't even come close. Opening pressure can play into the power that can be made with a certain size nozzle, lowering the opening pressure can lengthen or increase duration therefore increasing the injected quantity. However, this will decrease atomization and efficiencey past a certain point. Response is often better with a higher opening pressure, which is beneficial for a street application, even though the peak number may be a bit lower.

A well ported 12v head with bigger valves will out flow VERY well and will not be prone to cracking or having to get custom injector lines etc, you will also have a much broader range to pick from on injectors going with the 12v, if your looking for all out performance and a all around cheaper build, the 12v is the way too go.

I have a p-pump converted motor in my truck. I can't complain, but if you already have a 12V motor, use it. The biggest headache with the conversion is injectors. I'm having a new motor built and am going with another 24V setup because I don't have any idea where to start with 12V injectors. LOL

ok-thanks guys. thanks weston for injector info. i have another old ford crewcab im building for my wife to put my 1st gen motor in. i got the 2 motors yesterday. drove 500 mile round trip after getting up at 3:00 am to milk cows before going. i want more head flow mainly. i dont want a injector/timing/pop pressure headache. not concerned about work involved, ive converted 1st gens to p-pump before. heres what i have- 99 24v motor complete. 80k miles. 98 12v parts motor. 215 pump {rebuilt). complete 95 12v 175hp pump. 180k miles. into all this for about grand !. want to build a 450 hp 1000FTLB tq engine for towing/ play. i,ll use any combination of parts listed. is the injector problem a big deal on 24v p-pump?. i plan on running twins- cheap hx-35/ht3b combo. gotta spool quik at hi elevation. anymore thoughts?