tst pm r49 and smarty on stock truck.

virgil

still spoolin
ok guys, have a stock 06 sb 4x4 with a tst and want to run a smarty to see if it changes the fuel mileage any. the tst seems to get at best 17-18 mpg tried levels up to 4 and it seems to do best on 3.maybe playing with the timing more would change that.but anyways i would like to run the r49 for the pyrometer only and be able to run odd levels on the smarty. is this a possibility or not?or maybe a suggestion on settings for the tst that will yield better than stock mileage? anyways have a 3000 mile trip planned and would like to save some fuel.also what tourqe management programs on the smarty are truley safe for stock automatic 48re on say a 60 hp setting?

Can't you turn the tst completly off? I wouldn't run both of them on or at least above 100hp on a stock tranny. You'll be all right for awhile but any WOT would probably cause slippage. 17-18mpg is about as good as it gets with an auto. My 6spd gets about that, actually your doing pretty good with that. I personally would buy another 600 dollar programmer unless your looking for major horsepower in the future.

really could care less about power gains. just would like to see 20mpg.btw the truck has 3.55 axles.what about half power on the smarty?

Personally I don't think your gonna see 20mpg. Maybe if you go with the new mileage injectors from Don M. A Smarty isn't gonna boost your mpg and goodbye warranty if you still have one. The injectors though in my oponion is your best bet. What makes you think the smarty is gonna bump up your mpg anyways?

because it has on two other trucks its been run on.why do you say goodbye warranty?its been into the dealer with the tst on.lol they don't care.who knows maybe the injectors are the ticket for the 06 with an auto and that won't be an option.

You can turn the TST to 0/0 and it will provide no additional fueling or timing. The gauge functions, cool down timer, etc. will still function correctly.

If you load a Smarty for stock truck and Stock TM you can probably run SW #5 as long as you drive conservatively. Use the lastest Smarty released version for best results. That would be my recommendation. If you think a little extra timing would help then set the TST to 3* Auto Timing and HP/TQ to 2/0. This will give you a little added timing.

virgil said:
ok guys, have a stock 06 sb 4x4 with a tst and want to run a smarty to see if it changes the fuel mileage any. the tst seems to get at best 17-18 mpg tried levels up to 4 and it seems to do best on 3.maybe playing with the timing more would change that.but anyways i would like to run the r49 for the pyrometer only and be able to run odd levels on the smarty. is this a possibility or not?or maybe a suggestion on settings for the tst that will yield better than stock mileage? anyways have a 3000 mile trip planned and would like to save some fuel.also what tourqe management programs on the smarty are truley safe for stock automatic 48re on say a 60 hp setting?

Have you looked into a more efficient turbo for fuel economy? Another good recommendations for fuel economy is a more efficient torque convertor. I am even hearing some claims of 2-3 MPG improvements with Snow Performance Water Meth kits. I know what your thinking, how many $$$ do you want to spend to save a few $$$ at the pump but over and above fuel economy these products are great for performance too.

$.02

Last edited:
since when can you get 3:55 gears in a cr dodge i thought all they offered was 3:73 and 4** whatevers

Kman9090 said:
Personally I don't think your gonna see 20mpg. Maybe if you go with the new mileage injectors from Don M. A Smarty isn't gonna boost your mpg and goodbye warranty if you still have one. The injectors though in my oponion is your best bet. What makes you think the smarty is gonna bump up your mpg anyways?
I get 18 mpg in the city hand calcluated with my 6 speed and 4.10's...also got a lead foot too so I'm sure I could see better mileage

bonesmx2000 said:
since when can you get 3:55 gears in a cr dodge i thought all they offered was 3:73 and 4** whatevers
Our 04 work trucks have 3.55's iirc...not sure on the newer crs.

wft i believe there is a sticker in my 03 saying 3:73 i want 3:55

Your truck has 3.73's if it has a AAM axle. They only have two gear options 3.73 and 4.10's.

whoops my bad, i meant 3:73.well iam going to give them both a try.i know the 60 hp setting(sw3) will gain maybe a mile or two driving easy, but not sure how the high altitude will effect it, and not to mention one of the guys has a heavy foot....last thing i want is to be stranded on the side of the road.
i was thinking moderate tq managment, sw1.cmon 20 mpg. lol thanks for the help guys.

Virgil:

Converter and Valve Body.... Double banger there !

More mileage with tighter set up and funner to drive.

The turbo thing from above has me wondering what the BD dude is thinking... Stock turbo is the most efficient thing your gonna see when driving moderate to safe.

virgil said:
whoops my bad, i meant 3:73.well iam going to give them both a try.i know the 60 hp setting(sw3) will gain maybe a mile or two driving easy, but not sure how the high altitude will effect it, and not to mention one of the guys has a heavy foot....last thing i want is to be stranded on the side of the road.
i was thinking moderate tq managment, sw1.cmon 20 mpg. lol thanks for the help guys.

and by the way.... Air up those tires.:bang

JacktheBear3 said:
Virgil:

Converter and Valve Body.... Double banger there !

More mileage with tighter set up and funner to drive.

The turbo thing from above has me wondering what the BD dude is thinking... Stock turbo is the most efficient thing your gonna see when driving moderate to safe.

i know what hes saying, atleast on my 02 with aftermarket turbos, i can be driving 75 mph with 5 or less pounds of boost.the stock turbo on the 06 which is truely more effecient all around would be way above that.i truely feel that advantage on my 02 helps out.the tranny would be great but that will be a year atleast.

quad max mileage box and maybe a set of mileage injectors... I think ddp has some out...

Kman9090 said:
Your truck has 3.73's if it has a AAM axle. They only have two gear options 3.73 and 4.10's.
Opps looked in the glovebox today and the trucks have 3.73's.:doh:

I believe Dodge is offering a 3.42 on the 2008 trucks.

Before the Edge my truck would get 20+ MPG if I aired up the tires and kept the speed under 70. With the Edge I have run it at 80 MPH and have had a couple tanks at 19.5 and 19.8. Most of the time my truck is towing something so I don't have a lot of opportunities to check the mileage. If I want good mileage I jump in the Jetta and get 40+ MPG :)

I am hearing good results from people just using the Smarty Jr.