Tuning a 5r110 Transmission behind a commonrail

wsnell_fab

I am about to begin a commonrail Cummins conversion into my 2003 Ford Superduty that originally came with a 7.3 and a 4r100. I have already bought the commonrail and a 5r110 transmission. Originally I just planned on using a pcs controlled but after reading about how difficult it is for that controller to correctly control the 5r110 I have decided against it. I now am wondering what my best option is on how to wire in an original 6.0 pcm so that I can control the 5r110 using an sct tuner and custom tunes. Does the 6.0 pcm need engine input and everything to correctly run the transmission, or could I just use the set of wiring that comes off the pcm that goes to the transmission and eliminate the other two sets? And then continue using the 7.3 wiring to wire in my gauges and power, ect... if anyone has swapped a 5r110 into a different vehicle and used the stock pcm or tcm to control it please let me know how you did it or how the best way to do it would be. Thanks!

Absolute PITA. Why the need for the 5R? Stick with the 4R and PCS. No you dont have that extra OD but at least you have a trans that will do what you ask, the same way, every single time.

Mike from Hallers Repair in Wyoming is pretty knowledgeable about what it takes to make a 5R tick.

Personally, i would look more into how the 5R is controlled in the 6.4 application rather than a 6.0. Much easier from a flashing standpoint.

Back