Tuning a Smarty and (Hot) Juice (long ish)

JasonCzerak

ok. So I've had a few days to toy with the two. I'm Flashing my 3rd flash on the programmer. the OCT5th stock injector, after market turbo moderate TQ (wild is just that, insane to control on the street).

My thinking here is that the hot juice assumes after market turbo. EGT's on the edge do run up to 1700 and the truck does pull real nice. However, it's just 3100 rpm-ish with the juice. I keep forgetting that I have 3500rpm with the smarty!

So my next flash will be the moderate TQ stock injector and turbo program and make a point to use all these RPM's. :)

So, I managed to get the EDGE box to "reset". as in I have to get the hot code (came already applied from edge). I'll correct this on monday. It's not a big deal since this weekend I'll be more intune to the smarty.

The Smarty does not rattle the injectors AT ALL. they sound like the truck when it's stock and nothing plugged into it! Crazy! :)

What I'm looking for is dyno proven HP and TQ with the 2 boxes stacked (ez typically will be on 1 in my case). I'd like to have a "low" power and high power to be adjust with the edge box.

Now I realize this is almost impossible with edge now that I went over things a few times as to how the boxes work. Edge specifically does both timing and duration and that's it. Not one or the other. I've run into a situation where I know I had way to much duration. I had the Smarty on 8, Edge on 6 and gunned it and the injectors just went nutz!!!!

I know the correct solution is a TST box. This will happen over the winter.

So What have you folks dyno'ed with these 2 boxes? what settings. stock turbo and injectors preferred. There is not much search about info any any of the forums!

I've read that Smarty on 9 and the edge on 1 does make some good power!. And they do pull well!. However, smarty on 7 (100hp) and edge on 3 or 4 (60-90hp?) doesn't seem to get to where I was with just the hot program alone. I have yet to try smarty on 5 or 3 and middle numbers on edge. Looking to get the good combo of timing and duration from the two. little timing from the edge, little from the smarty...

Infact, the hot juice alone does seem to pull better then smarty on 9. Tho, we'll see after I get the "aftermarket" turbo flash in place and see what happens.

I'm looking to get 500-525hp outa this combination with the higher rpm's. I know with the edge I'm there at 500hp (in fact most likly more like 525)

So, with out further drivel from me. What have you folks found?Tuning a Smarty and (Hot) Juice (long ish)

I spent alot of time on the dyno trying to get a hot juice and a Smarty to work together. The truck was a 04.5 with 90 horse sticks, twins, and all the usual stuff - fuel, air,ex. etc.

When it was all over, I found the two do not stack well. They both make the most power by themself. When you stack the two in any combination, power goes down.

That's what I'm afraid of....

The Juice goes. :) Tho, I need buy EGT and Boost and a triple pod.

What do you folks think about the Rail pressure option there on the TST box? Work well? I suppose tossing the EZ out the window as well in favor of the TST box with rail pressure.

The down side to TST, is their interface is fugly. The Edge in an a-pillar pod+1 looks so nice.

I think I'll do some pricing.. maybe toss the Edge stuff up ebay in a few weeks.

Set the Smarty for "large" injectors and see what happens with the stack. I'd set the Smarty on 5-6 or so and test that stack. Setting the Smarty up for larger injectors will decrease the pulse duration and help you out a good bit with "smokey" take-off/low power.

Sell the Juice.... it's great as a stand alone deal for a non-race application. If you want more, take another path

JacktheBear3 said:
Sell the Juice.... it's great as a stand alone deal for a non-race application. If you want more, take another path
I have the Juice and can partially agree with that. The question is whether or not you want the most power or just a fun little controller that will give your truck a kick in the pants without a transmission or turbo upgrade.

The Juice and Smarty are not a good stack due to conflicts in timing. If either of them came out with timing adjustability then I think the problem would be solved.

Back