Turbo choices these days for a 5.9CR

I haven't been on here in years, but figured I would reach out to everyone for a little help choosing a new charger for my weekend driver/tow rig.

The truck is an 05 NV5600 with a smarty jr on the 100hp setting. Have all the usual guages, 5" exhaust, dual disc etc. as well. I have no immediate plans to do injectors due to the low mileage on the rig (55k miles). I am 100% set on doing a 2nd gen manifold setup with whatever turbo I go with, I also have no problem looking at new tuning options as well if there is anything newer/better for the 05s these days. Curious what everyone's recommendations are for keeping a nice quick spool, making some fun usable power, towing on the weekends, etc.

Been reading about the newer s363sxe a little, but also been told an s463 is the way to go, any thoughts/feedback would greatly appreciated. Would love the truck to make 550-600 some day even if it took some fueling upgrades down the road.

The draw of a cheap s400 on a manual truck never made sense to me.

Been reading about the newer s363sxe a little, but also been told an s463 is the way to go, any thoughts/feedback would greatly appreciated. Would love the truck to make 550-600 some day even if it took some fueling upgrades down the road.

You're going to be happier with the s363sxe and unless you're going to go with compounds at some point, I don't see a downside to the s300 series.
Plus, you're on a manual so I always like the way they drive with small chargers that hit hard. Just personal opinion. I think someone on here was saying his S467 works great on his 5.9 CR manual.

Smarty box tunes is starting to become a thing of the past also. For 03-05 trucks, HP Tuner through any reputable tuner is the way to go now days. Its common for a manual truck on stock injectors/cp3/turbo to make between 530-550 hp. For around $800 you can have HPT and 3 custom tunes (tow,street,max effort). If there was a downfall to have using this setup, it would be you have to have a laptop that's capable of sending and receiving emails for tunes and any adjustments you may need. You would be amazed at what this custom tuning alone does for these trucks.

JE

This is great guys keep the info coming, I used to spend hours per week on the various forums and took a good break the last 5 years so this is all great/new info to me. Really glad to here about the HP tuner option and the fact I just might be able to squeeze 550 out of it in relatively stock form. I will 100% agree the allure to driving these manual trucks is exactly that, able to just be cruising along and mash the go pedal with instant satisfaction. Also I am open to all variants of the s300sxe or FMW given it still has the upgraded thrust bearing.

Found this earlier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pea4PzUaYRk

Last edited:
I would opt for stocker/475. That setup would give you everything you ever wanted and need. Then again that may start the itch for more haha.

I run an S366, 2nd gen swapped on stock fuel, and it lights just fine. My truck is auto though.

Stock/471 compound setup with the small 83mm turbine and 1.10 housing would be a lot of fun and tow like an animal for your 600hp goal but more expensive.

Single charger I see no reason to go bigger than a 62/68/12 sxe wastegated housing.

Just went from a billet 466 to a 363 fmw T4 in my daily (06 auto 2nd gen swap.). Was a huge improvement. Tows greats as well. Wouldn't think twice about it if I were you. Going twins eventually....

Josh

Back