Turbo failure, what direction now

CUMMINSTD

New Ride, Poor Wallet :/
Had my he351 high pressure charger come apart on me yesterday and cause the motor to run away, luckily I got it to shut down pretty quick no don't think there's any damage. Question is, should I go with another high pressure and keep the twins, or just go to a big single? Want to be able to support 700 hp, quick spool in a manual, and tow.

366 will give you what you are looking for and they drive really nice. A few people on here have made 800 on that charger.

66 does drive surprisingly well on a common rail. Towing might be the only iffy part. How much weight do you tow?

My 01 with a 66 and a manual wouldn't get below 1100 degrees towing a tandem axle gooseneck with a quad cab long bed truck on it. Took the truck off and i could keep it under 1000 degrees. So weight plays a big factor in that portion of it.

I tow 15,000 pretty regular, what are the specs on the 366? Like 66/80/14 for example, not to familiar with the terminology on them lol

My 66/74/.91 drives really nice for not having nozzles. Only thing I'd change is for it to be wastegated.

That was my next question, I found one, waiting on the specs, it's non gated. I run a stock manifold, will I need to put a gate in?

Had my he351 high pressure charger come apart on me yesterday and cause the motor to run away, luckily I got it to shut down pretty quick no don't think there's any damage. Question is, should I go with another high pressure and keep the twins, or just go to a big single?

Coming from an old school 351/3B twin setup and going to a 66 single will really disappoint you. You could make it work, but you'll have to change the way you drive and keep the revs up. Getting under a 66 with 15k behind you will really piss you off if you love the way your current quick spooling setup performed before it ate itself.

Want to be able to support 700 hp, quick spool in a manual, and tow.

You've stated the exact reason why twin turbos were developed for these trucks.

Nowhere in your request did you state "budget" or "cheap." That said, if it were me I'd rustle up another good used HE351 and sell your current turbos and tubes to somebody looking to get into a set of towing twins. Invest those piggies into a more modern S300/S400 twin kit and grab yourself a 62mm and hang that over a 76mm S400 and call it done. I had that setup with about 650hp worth of fuel and the truck was a HOOT and essentially smoke free with not a pyro care in the world.

When that gets old, the advantage of an S300/S400 kit is you can grab a bigger set of snails and your tubes will still work just fine.

Amish you said exactly what I was concerned about, I think my problem with my 351 was hitting on 60-70 psi at times, I think by me turning in into a 62-60 just stressed the shaft too much over time

I actually overlooked that your twin setup included the ht3b. That is the exact twin setup I had on my 01 before I went to a box stock 66/74/.91. Granted a ppumped 24v is a different animal from a common rail. I preferred my 66. The twins spooled great and were fun but they were a little choked up on the top end. the top end with the 66 was much better.

One of the biggest things is what people perceive as laggy and driving style changes a tad.

This is the info on the 366 that the guy sent me, really don't know what it all means lol

Compressor: 66 mm inducer / 91.4mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Technology.

Turbine: 73 mm exducer. Cast in Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation.

Housings:

Compressor: Large 4.00" ported anti-surge air inlet / 3.00" charge pipe outlet

Turbine: .88 A/R Open Scroll, with 'T4-style', and 4.21" v-band discharge.

avoid that .88 housing. Kind of odd it even has that to be honest. MOST box s366 have the .91 housing on it.

I went from a S363/68/.70 to a 351 over a s480. The twins are a much better setup for towing/daily driving. Less EGTs, less smoke, and the ability to lug the truck without having to worry about watching the pyro temps, rpms, or smoking out traffic.

My gate on the 351 is stock and is controlled by the primary, opens @ 40psi total psi.