Turbo Hard to Turn

white93

I noticed today during an oil change that the turbo on my '93 has a stiff spot in it. It will spin freely a few turns and then get really stiff. The shaft has no play in any direction either. What could be the issue with it? I figured this would be a good section to ask since most turbos are set up the same basic way.

Put some clean oil down in the bearings and then turn it by hand. If it no longer hangs up, it should be fine (assuming no wheel to housing contact or excessive end play).

Put some clean oil down in the bearings and then turn it by hand. If it no longer hangs up, it should be fine (assuming no wheel to housing contact or excessive end play).

I tried that and then let it idle but its still the same.

It probably has some burned oil on the shaft or bearing.

I think you may be right. I always let it get to 300 before shutting it down but I have gotten the the egt's up to 15-1600f towing so it could have burned some oil on to itself then. Ive driven the truck 2k miles since I found this and its still together with no play so I don't know whats up with it.

Just let it soak in a solition that will cut that burnt oil. May need to sit over night.
Then flush with claen oil, and it should be good to go.

Back