Turbo Help? Smoke needs to go!

CumminNotRunnin

Internet Mechanic
I have a 99 cummins with edge juice with attitude, 150 injectors and a HTT HTBG turbo Carter lift pump helper, AFe Filter, 4inch piping running out the back. I need help getting my smoke cleared up. I dont know whether to just upgrade that single from HTT or get a different assembly? Any suggesttions on something new i should try dont have the finances to do twins. Not that they are needed in my stage of the game. Just got a dirty pipe and low fuel mileage something that will spool quick on the line. I Have a lot of lag right now. HElp! :doh:

CumminNotRunnin said:
I have a 99 cummins with edge juice with attitude, 150 injectors and a HTT HTBG turbo Carter lift pump helper, AFe Filter, 4inch piping running out the back. I need help getting my smoke cleared up. I dont know whether to just upgrade that single from HTT or get a different assembly? Any suggesttions on something new i should try dont have the finances to do twins. Not that they are needed in my stage of the game. Just got a dirty pipe and low fuel mileage something that will spool quick on the line. I Have a lot of lag right now. HElp! :doh:

I dunno, other than turn the juice down or off. The htbg is one of the quickest spooling out there. It should clear the smoke better than alot of others except at wot.

Jake,
I know some of the details of your truck, keep in mind some of the fuel mileage issues are directly related to that inefficient trans you had installed. :bang

When I had put in my first Suncoast I was pleasantly suprised at the gain in MPG I got, and the newfound power increase that I appeared to have- this was because the trans was doing its job efficiently, without slipping and creating heat, transferring most of the power to the wheels- fix this and it will find you not needing to be in the pedal so hard.....

As far as the smoke-smoke= lack of sufficient air- we can do some work on your cylinder head ( providing that there are no cracks in the valve seat area ) when your ready to pull the head off. ( mind you-not as extreme as the head you've seen on my Bridgeport- thats an entirely different league:evil :evil ) Also a cam swap will also help pack in the air into the cylinders because of the performance orientated grind on the lobes, thereby opening the valves qwicker and holding it open longer, allowing more air to be packed in the cylinders faster.

You are far from needing twins just yet. There are other alternatives that can be done first. Along with upgrading the turbo foundation you currently have, but twins are way down the road yet -for your truck.:ft:

My suggestions are to resolve the trans issue first, then we can see about the turbo upgrade, if you are needing more :evil ( we always want more LOL )we can do the head work, or cam or both all in the same shot.:poke:

Last edited: