Turbo off big rig...which one?

Izzy

i am going to a semi truck wrecking yard to look for a turbo to build my twins with, what turbo or engine should i be looking for? my twins are for daily driving/competing. i am using a he351 in my set up. i do not want to use a ht3b. is there a diamond in the ruff on a used semi truck?

i am going to a semi truck wrecking yard to look for a turbo to build my twins with, what turbo or engine should i be looking for? my twins are for daily driving/competing. i am using a he351 in my set up. i do not want to use a ht3b. is there a diamond in the ruff on a used semi truck?

K31 used on a detroit 60 series.. I believe it is what Industrial Injection uses in their towing twins...

specials turbo dallas majestic turbo dallas

So how does a K31 compare to the ht3b and the s400? i can see that being waste gated can be an advantage

s400 is a frame size so that could mean anywhere from a 65mm compressor inducer to an 88mm compressor inducer. Most think of the s475 with a 75mm compressor inducer. Ht3bs are in the same 74mm range.

A k31 has a 71mm compressor wheel. IIRC they have some issues in stock form. But I think the ATS A5K is based off a K31.

I was also told by a reputable source that the Aurora 5000 is K31 based, at least it uses the K31 turbine wheel and they have issues with NO2.

A good friend of mine runs HX35/40 hybrid over an HT60 off of an N14. I was lookin at the turbo on a 3406E once, P/N 132-5301, no actual measurements but it "looks about the right size", I would guess its a 74/26 with a wastegate.

I had a K31 with a 75mm wheel. Dont forget to look at the ex. housings sizes too. Also flanges and comp outlets. Some stock (mack for example) turbos have "weird" inlet/outlets that make plumbing a nightmare, even if the wheels are the right size.
basically look for a 5" in/out , 72-80 inducer, normal T6 flange, w/ex. housing between 22-28cm or 1.10-1.36 A/R
Dont forget, most turbos will need to be "clocked" to work on our trucks, so if the housing is a bolt-on it may not be able to be clocked.