turbo questions

jtinlbc

I went out on a roadtrip over spring break

climbing the hill going up to flagstaff my turbo sounded like it was fluttering

I had my ts chip on either the 75 setting or the 100

and also at one point when I was really pushing it

the service engine light came on

so I pulled over and let it idle for a few then shut it off and I resumed in either the 75 or 100 setting

when I got back down to sea level
it smokes alittle more and it seems to have a little more power

whats the culprit

I went out on a roadtrip over spring break

climbing the hill going up to flagstaff my turbo sounded like it was flutteringThats just turbo shutter. If you dont want to spend the dough on a new BB or something you can get a wicked wheel. That will take care the shutter for the most part. I get that all the time when Im really pushing third to the max and its about to shift to fourth. Usually pushing about 18 pounds.

I had my ts chip on either the 75 setting or the 100

and also at one point when I was really pushing it

the service engine light came on
I have heard of that but I cant think of what it is right off the top of my head.

so I pulled over and let it idle for a few then shut it off and I resumed in either the 75 or 100 setting

when I got back down to sea level
it smokes alittle more and it seems to have a little more power
When you are at higher altitudes the air is thinner. DDDUUUUUUUHHHHHHH.:bang. J/K

whats the culprit

Hope this helps.

Ive already done a wicked wheel
but it never did this before
is it cause its hot
do you think that this might hurt something

Im gonna do a turbo
but Im already a little worried about breaking my tranny
I still need to do a valve body and find a good torque convertor
at least some people have made me feel like the 4r100 is a ticking timebomb

and also because we have more air at sea level wouldnt that mean that there would be less smoke

the Service Engine Soon light is a P1211 code for running out of high pressure oil...Common and I wouldn't worry about it!!!

I couldnt tell you whether your tranny is a ticking time bomb. But, I can tell you that I know alot of people in the diesel world (with different rigs) that think the 4RR100 is one of the best stockers. If you are still getting a surge even with a WW, and your that worried about it then just get a different turbo without the EBPV like you were talking about in the other thread. I would just buy a built tranny and TC if your going to spend all the time and money to try and make power. There is no cheap way out of all this. With all the mods your trying to do, your gonna have to put in forged rods depending on year, and head studs and alot of other expensive stuff. If you want to play in the big leagues you have to pay. No other way out. Your EBPV isnt going to give you that much more power if you remove it. Its not even worth it until you get a turbo. Just stop talking about it and do it.

Im on here to fnd out more about what I can do to hot rod out this truck

my list of mods has come through the help of people with more experience than myself

this is my first diesel but its not my first go-around

you would be proud to own some of the custom vehicles that I have personally built

I am asking questions because I am concerned that there could be a more serious condittion with this

dont you think Im getting ready to spend some money on this thing

but Ive also ordered a new vehicle from the factory, and Im no rockefeller

also If Im down at sea-level there is denser air meaning more O2
that would also mean less smoke because of a better burn right right

and not the other way around like I posted earlier

DUHHH :kick:

Whatever guy, You do what you want. Dont come looking for advice if your just going to dispell it. Why are you worried about smoke? What I meant with the thinner air comment is YOU said you were climbing a hill when you heard the surge. I assume your not talking about something small. Mountain maybe? Anyway, I guess I wont waste any more of my time on your threads since your all talk. And one more thing there ya physics jacka$$, You said that once you got back to sea level it seemed to have more power. ONCE AGAIN you full blown diesel mech, if the air is denser at sea level its going to seem to have more power. What a putz

Im on here to fnd out more about what I can do to hot rod out this truck NO CHIT

my list of mods has come through the help of people with more experience than myself

this is my first diesel but its not my first go-around

you would be proud to own some of the custom vehicles that I have personally built
I think this statement contradicts itself. So you don't know anything about diesels, but you just wanted to let me know you have been around the block and you have built alot of rigs. I don't get it.

I am asking questions because I am concerned that there could be a more serious condittion with this I think the serious condition is you need to learn to spell and how to form a paragraph

don't you think I'm getting ready to spend some money on this thing
Nope

but Ive also ordered a new vehicle from the factory, and I'm no rockefeller

Congratulations. Should I be applauding you?

also If I'm down at sea-level there is denser air meaning more O2
that would also mean less smoke because of a better burn right right

and not the other way around like I posted earlier

DUHHH :kick:
I think you should play more nice.

so first you dont understand basic physics and then all of a sudden you can judge my grammer, alright I didnt use standard written english, I didnt know there was gonna be a test

thanks for telling me that I have turbo shutter, but when I said "whats the culprit" back in the first post, it was implied that I wanted to know what the cause was

could it be:
1. a boost leak
2. some wierd form of cavitation
3. wicked wheel related
4. a dirty turbo
5. egt too high
6. now it sounds like it could be related to code p1211
7. or anything else

you still didnt answer the original question "what causes it?"

If I have to buy a new turbo, then I will
I just dont want to start throwing new parts at something if it does not solve the problem in question

If I bought a new turbo and it still showed the same symptoms,
what would you call that?
preventitive maintenance

it also sounds like your telling me that the truck would smoke more at sea-level than up in elevation
I thought "the truck" would smoke less at sea-level, because of the denser air
The denser the air then the denser the amount of O2 that would burn the fuel more completely,
leaving less smoke

but thanks to you,I now see the error of my ways

I also thought that you would understand that since I live very close to the beach, you would assume that I would be returning back to sea-level

hence, the truck making more power and pulling a little harder than before I went on my spring break road-trip
but I guess I need to clarify this as well

you my friend are also the first person to tell me that the "4rr100 is one of the best stockers" so go ahead and do the turbo mods
thanks for the great advice

Im sure your advice will help save me some money as well as others that might read this thread

by the way,
did you even read the ebpv delete thread?
by removing the ebpv, that would free up 1/3 of the inside diameter of the inside area of the pipe, resulting in better air-flow & increased fuel economy
but its not worth it, right?

how about the zoodad mod?
is that mod worth doing?

and by the way, in case you didnt know not every custom vehicle has to be diesel powered you stupid douche-bag.
have you ever heard of classic hot-rods, or custom motorcycles?

but your right I am a physics-jackass
Im working on a masters in architecture as well as a bachelors in civil engineering
so I do study physics as well as other subjects that your dumbass would fail to comprehend

I also did not mean to come off sounding like a "full blown diesel mech"
but usually, if I can understand the problem I can solve any problem thats put in front of me

about the only advice I have dispelled here at "compitition diesel" is installing my chip without rebuilding my tranny over at john woods or at least modding the internals

Im listening to the feedback and the advice of the people that have actually done some of the mods im thinking of doing to their own personal trucks
Not just "some chrome" and a "X-MONIOR" and calling it playing with the big boys

I also apoligize for saying duh in my post, I usually dont speak in that manner
I was just sinking down to your level

you half a dim-wit

:kick: :rockwoot:

Last edited:
All that BS and all you have is half a dim-wit. Damn thats sad. These arent the only two rigs I have owned.

:doh:

This clowns so retarded, he doesnt even know hes retarded

Last edited:
I see you had to include all of your mods in your sig so everyone doesn't think your a douche. LOL. I never said I had a bad a$$ rig. Mines probably the slowest one here. But when you come knocking for advice and then turn it into a pissin contest, thats not cool at all. Your right I am a retarded clown. At least I ain't no wanna be.

I just needed to clarify one more thing. Well your whole post is screwed up but I only want to say this. I never said that since your tranny was a good stock one to juice the truck and put everything you had at it. You wanted an Allison swap for one, and thats not even going to help you in a stock form. You need a built tranny for what you want to do. I was just implying that you didn't need to waste money on an allison swap if your going to be modding the hell out of the truck. But anyway, I don't know why I continue to waste my time here. You have OBVIOUSLY misinterpreted EVERYTHING I have said Mr. college professor. I will just take my retarded clown, half a dim wit butt somewhere else. Thank you for proving your real intelligence.

Last edited:
good,
you still didnt answer any questions

what do I wanna-be?
like you, I seriously doubt that one

Oh yeah, I added the list of mods back on march the second.

I did this so that people would understand what I have done to the truck to better help me trouble shoot the problems as they appear

I am not trying to impress anybody on here at all Im just asking questions so that I can build a better pickup than I already own

this is no pissing contest, YOU said some stupid things and I answered
sorry if I sunk to your level

And Ive also read some of your other posts and you have no business correcting grammar

by the way Im not writting an essay or a journal article
If that was the case,and I have written journal articles that were published, I would take my time

so please quit responding to other peoples questions if you have nothing intelligent to say

I described the situation as it occured and then asked the question in the casual form of "whats the culprit"
all you did was describe what I had just finished describing

in the other post you had this to say "I dont know. SOMEONE HELP THIS NEW GUY OUT."

I wont even bother talking about your grammar

but if you know so much and can talk trash about going to school to get an education
do yourself a favor, and go enroll in a english or a math class or even try to see what it takes to enroll in a physics or chemistry class
it will only help your overall wellbeing, because then you will only start to realize how much you do not know

you havent answered any questions, all that you have done is taken up space.
in the meantime somebody else could have given me an actual reason why my truck did what it did

so thanks for nothing smoker

but to all of the other people that have helped me in the past, thanks for the help, I only hope that I can/will beable to help others out as well

You probably have an .84AR housing. Do the van turbo housing swap to a 1.15AR. No more turbo fluttering, which is compressor surge during excessive load. It is a function of the exhaust passage through the turbine's area, driving the compressor to produce boost faster than the system can tolerate pushing it out back towards the turbo. It is one of the most common turbo problems with the 7.3L. Call beans diesel he's got your fix.

Why wasn't the term turbo surge used to explain to the OP who started the thread instead of insulting ones integrity and calling him names. I'd say since he has owned more than one powerstroke that he is the expert on turbo surge.:woohoo:

Thanks Airflo for cleaning up the OP's mess.:clap::clap::clap:

jtinlbc contact Airflo and pick his brain if you need. I'm sure he has some good technical answers for you questions.

Last edited: