Turbo to exhaust Manifold leak effect performance?

Blackbumper

Could be worse!
I have a new PS 66 and a new HTT exahuast manifold on the 12v and am having problems getting them to seal up. I have been noticing alot of soot under the hood but just assumed it was one of my inferior welds on the exhaust pipe until I found the bottom side of the gasket between the 2 is leaking bad! I had a friend hit the go pedal while I laid underneath and it shoots smoke out of a 1" area on the mating surfaces. Could this affect performance?

Blackbumper said:
I have a new PS 66 and a new HTT exahuast manifold on the 12v and am having problems getting them to seal up. I have been noticing alot of soot under the hood but just assumed it was one of my inferior welds on the exhaust pipe until I found the bottom side of the gasket between the 2 is leaking bad! I had a friend hit the go pedal while I laid underneath and it shoots smoke out of a 1" area on the mating surfaces. Could this affect performance?

Thats exhaust gas that could be spinning that turbo.....yes it does.

sootman said:
Thats exhaust gas that could be spinning that turbo.....yes it does.

Not to mention sucking exhaust into the air cleaner doesn't help much either. I bet if you looking at the compressor wheel of your turbo, you'll find it is black with soot.

Paul

You put new gaskets in when you put the manifold and turbo on?

I had my housing crack and it leaked the way you're describing. Have you run excessive (>1570F) EGT? Have you pulled the housing and checked it for leaks?

when i had everything off while i was fabbing up my twins.......... I noticed that the divider in the exhaust housing was cracked. There was a small crack running about 1 1/2 in. into the turbo.

I guess she got hot a time or two..... lol

Lance

Timbeaux38 said:
You put new gaskets in when you put the manifold and turbo on?
Everything was new including the motor this setup has about 15 hooks on it and I think it's been leaking since day one but like I said I thought it was a bad weld on the exhaust. Never been able to get over 40psi with the setup but I also have been having troubles keeping the intake gasket between the top plate and the heater grid from leaking. But I should have that taken care of now.

joefarmer said:
I had my housing crack and it leaked the way you're describing. Have you run excessive (>1570F) EGT? Have you pulled the housing and checked it for leaks?

I'm out of state right now so I won't be able to pull it off untill I get home and yes it has seen 1600 for a few seconds when the water didn't turn on. When you are saying the housing I assume you are talking about the turbo? Hopefully it's just a gasket (wishfull thinking). When you had your housing crack what kind of loss did you see in boost numbers?

No real loss in peak boost, just slight loss in sustainable boost. I ended up just cranking the wastegate tighter to make up for it. However I don't recommend that since I huffed the turbo a few 100 miles later. A crack would indicate something isn't quite right with the setup and further evaluation will need to be done.

I was able to pull the turbo off this morning and everything looks good on the turbo and exhaust manifold with no cracks that I could visably see. The gasket however was leaking on the bottom side as I suspected on the turbo side of the gasket about an 1 1/2". I have a new gasket sitting here but it is the same as the one I installed before when you install these is there a proper way to do so like the raised side of the gasket on the turbo side or exhaust or is there any other tricks to get this thing to seal up? Or is there another gasket available that would work better?
Thanks

Does your exhaust system have some flex in it? If not, maybe the gasket is the first place it can flex and causes the leak? I know it sounds extreme, but we've torn intercooler boots just because the pipe couldn't flex when the engine torques.

I have been fighting alot of motor flex this year, trying to figure out a way to make the mounts hold alittle tighter.