turbo try outs

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
Well this past week i pulled the ATS Aurora 5000 off and put an Aourora 3000 on. I got them used as a 3000/5000 twin kit but am running both as a single to see how I like them. It is the 5th turbo thats been bolted onto my manifold so i thought I'd share what turbos i liked, and the pros and cons of each that I have tried so far...Note: These were all with my stock auto trans.

turbo #1: Stock H1C with lagmaster 21cm exhaust housing: Took quite a while to spool, but pulled fairly hard when it did. It would start to get hot on the top end if i held the pedal to the floor with a turned up pump. Ran about 900* and about 5 lbs of boost just cruisin at 65ish. Most boost i got out of it was 23 lbs. Although the H1C did have a different unique "screaming" turbo sound to it that i kind of miss sometimes. Sold it

turbo #2: HY35(off on 01 dodge auto) Definately was an upgrade over the h1c. had 9cm wastegate exhaust housing that Spooled instantly, the quickest spooling turbo I had and it pulled hard, it would break the tires loose every time it spooled up. Had a pretty cool jet sound to it. I still had stock injectors and just pump maxed with this turbo. It would fall on its face on the top end though and start to get hot. Ran about 700*-800* and 7-8 lbs of boost just cruisin at 65. Got 30 lbs out of it with J-hook on wastegate and 35 lbs out of it with a turnbuckle on the wastegate but that was too much cuz i ended up burnin it up. Raced a 3rd gen and hit 1700* probably oversped it and forgot to let it cool down before i shut it off. :doh:sittin on my shelf now as a trophy i guess you could say, may rebuild it, may not.

turbo #3: HE351CW(off an 04.5-07 dodge) Dang good turbo that I enjoyed a lot. Also had quick spooling 9cm wastegated exhaust housing and 4" exhaust outlet. Spooled dang quick but not quite as quick as hy35 since it has a bigger compressor side. For the money I'd say its the best bang for your buck for an upgraded 1st gen turbo. I dynoed 307hp with it and hit 42 lbs of boost on the dyno. Would run about 10 lbs of boost and about 700* cruisin at 65. Was good for at least 40 lbs. Would get a litttle hot if you held it open a long time, it would get up to about 1500* and stay there but i'm guessin because of drive pressure and also I need a different lift pump cuz i can suck my fuel pressure down to 0. I did get POD injectors and install Coolertubz while i had this turbo on and it was good to drop my egts at least 50* and dropped my boost about 5 lbs, and it ran much cleaner too. Had a good turbo whistle to it, definately a great turbo that i'd recommend to anyone with a 1st gen.:ft: still got it, but may sell to friend with a 1st gen

turbo #4: ATS Aurora 5000: BIG turbo, ran it as a big single and boy did this thing pull hard! Was a little laggy but probably about as laggy as my h1c or less, but it was worth the lag with my auto because once it lit, it pulled dang hard. Ran about 5 lbs of boost and about 800-900* just cruisin. Would hit 45+ lbs of boost but never dared go past that since i still have stock head gasket and stock head bolts. Would really light and pull hard right afer about 15 lbs of boost. It flowed a lot of air and i could never get it to go over 1100* was a fun turbo that had quite a sound to it, sounded like a big jet and had a much deeper exhaust sound with a drone. I did install a Powerstroke intercooler while i had this turbo on, and it did seem to help a bit, it ran a little cooler but I couldn't really tell how much it helped with this big turbo, but with the 3000, it runs really cool so I'm sure it helped with a smaller turbo. Fun with auto trans, good for drag racing if powerbraked. But probably wouldn't recommend it for towing and most people with a manual trans probably wouldn't like it as much. Still got it and gonna be part of the twins.

turbo #5: ATS Aurora 3000: Not sure on the sizes of it but it almost looked about the same size as the HE351, doesn't spool quite as quick as the he351, but its still spools well. It pulls hard and runs really cool and really clean, it cleaned up my smoke a lot even when i hammer down spoolin it up. Haven't been able to get it past 1100* yet either, but this is also with coolertubz and PS intercooler which i'm sure helps. Runs about 10 lbs of boost and 600-700* just cruisin. Has a good turbo sound to it and has a deeper, throatier, mellow exhaust sound to it, not quite as loud as the 5000. Most boost i've seen so far is about 32 lbs but its winter here and the roads have been icy so haven't really opened it up all the way yet. Be great for towing or just for cruising. I've liked it so far.

So there's my analysis. I've got an hx35 off a bus, an he341 and that hy that i may rebuild but not sure if I'll be trying them out or not. Next thing is getting the 3000 and 5000 on together:charger:

When i take the 3000 off again to put the twins on I'll line them all up and get a picture to compare all of them. I have a few pictures of comparing some of them and some pics of them in the truck that I can post up if ya want.

Good feedback
Y don't you run the he351 as the small turbo with the twins?

Your poor stock trans... lol

ha ha I know, I think the 5000 was the hardest on it, it has definately gotten worse but I got a 47rh sittin here in the shop waitin to go in, just need to build it up a little first and get a 2nd gen starter and flexplate(already got adapter plate) and it'll be ready to go in:woohoo:

Well the guy i bought this ATS kit from actually sold me just the 5000 first and i was runnin it as a single and was gonna twin it with my he351, and he was runnin the 3000 as a single, then he took it off and put his hx35 back on for towing so he could use his pacbrake and sold me the 3000 too and the rest of the piping so I think I'll just put them together. I was wonderin which would work better in the twins, the 3000 or he351 but I figured well the kit came that way so might as well do it. The 3000 has a smaller exhaust housing that mounts to the hot pipe for use with the twins and right now it has a bigger housing on it to run as a single, not sure what size though. Unless you think it'd run better with the he351 on top instead of the 3000? I'm sure it'd be pretty close

If everything is set up to run the 3000 than I would probably do it too just cuz it is easier to that way.
I just said the 351 to use cuz I thought it would spool quicker and then you wouldn't have to worry if you do any towing plus with the 5000 you would have plenty of top end.
But you ran the 3000 by itself so you would know better than me how it will spool or tow. If you liked it than
Why not

id say run the 3000/5000 set up, The 3000 is pretty much ATS slight upgrade for the HE351 and with the smaller housing for the twin set up im sure it spools just as fast while moving more air, plus im sure the 3000 has a higher flowing waste gate which will get that 5000 moving a little better.

I cant wait to see you twin set up, but GET SOME STUDS! haha

ha ha Studs is definately on the list. Hopefully I can get studs these twins, 47rh and a different lift pump and maybe a 4200 spring in by march when our local dyno day is and put er on the rollers again.

well I need a few more things for the 47rh swap, like starter and flexplate, and I'll probably throw at least a shift kit in before i put it in, ha ha mostly I'm just out of money right now, I'm doin odd jobs here and there but the money i get from that goes to fuel. I got the 4200 spring sittin here, and I'm not sure what route I wanna go on the lift pump yet, I got 2nd gen lift pump and a cheapo ebay regulator i may throw together or I got two good carter electric pumps off a 24 valve I could use but not sure yet. Wish i could afford an Airdog

too bad you couldnt trade off some of the extra parts you have laying around for the stuff you need.

i couldnt handle having all of that stuff just waiting to go in and not be able to do it. Id be putting stuff on credit haha (credit is bad mmmk)

ya id sell of your pile of turbos and get studs and tranny parts, new stuff goes right from the UPS truck to mounted on my truck haha...other than my s400s, but one may find its way under the hood soon. can anyone say BIG single? waste of time ik but i still want to try spooling it

I probably will, I think I'll sell the he351 and that should get me some studs, and i need to rebuild the others and sell them. May sell my stock trans and starter too, or at least as a core.

I bet you can spool that s400 1stgenjake, if i could spool the aurora 5000, then i bet you can spool that

would the hy35 and the 5000 be a good combo, if it fit your current setup

great thread:Cheer:

put the he351 on mine with 40hp injectors and pump turned up ..maybe to 75%
i get 38psimax. 750-800 egt's at 65mph@10psi

spools good but i dont really notice a power increase/harder pull.

it makes 10psi more than the stocker but iam loosing it all in the ****ty factory converter iam sure