Turbos....need a lil help

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I am gettin ready to put 150hp sticks, and need to upgrade the stocker. I was wanting to know what is thought of these. ATS 3000, Bd special B, II PS 62. I am aiming for over 500hp to the wheels. Reliable:st:

i am in the same boat u are in but i am going with 200's...i will probably be going with a 66/14 but you should do good with a 64/14

bd super b special (64/71/14) - you can get these a lot cheaper than the other 64/14 equivalents

00 black ram said:
I am gettin ready to put 150hp sticks, and need to upgrade the stocker. I was wanting to know what is thought of these. ATS 3000, Bd special B, II PS 62. I am aiming for over 500hp to the wheels. Reliable:st:

My current setup includes a set of mach 4's with a Phat Shaft 62. EGT's arn't an issue. This setup set to 48lbs has been great for me. I don't have any dyno slips for it but on level 5 stage 4 on the edge comp box + drag program. I'm sure I'm at or above 500hp. Also as far as the turbo market goes I've seen more reliability out of II products than anything.

Go with the larger turbine wheels. Like the 64/14 with the 71 mm turbine wheel.

64/14/65 seems to be more than enough turbo for 150 sticks ime. The super 62's are a popular choice.

I'm the other side of the coin. I prefer a single for street driving and twins for towing or drag racing.

a BD special B is a 64/14

I probably will go with a HTT 64or the BDspecial, depends on $$$ and other mods

There is a group buy still in progress at PDI. You should be able to find your preferred turbo in that Group Buy! Thanks

My 62/65/12 gets pretty toasty with my current setup but with 150's the egt's were incredibly manageable.

HTT 62, 550hp, worked awsome, can be easily used as a top turbo in twins if needed.
The nice thing is you can always turn the comp down to tow. Used to run 3x2 to tow and never had egt issues.

I don't really do any towing at all, I just need a turbo that will put me over 500hp and have quick spool for a truck with 4.10s and 6 spd

00 black ram said:
I don't really do any towing at all, I just need a turbo that will put me over 500hp and have quick spool for a truck with 4.10s and 6 spd

The fact that you do not tow that much might make the Super B Special a great option for you. I had some concerns with the Special being a little laggy, giving up some drivabilty but the more feedback I get from guys running them the more conident I am selling them to guys that have drivabilty concerns.

I still do not recommend the Special for towing but for over 500HP daily driver and some playing it is a great turbo, especially when it comes to cooling at the top end. The BD Specials include the 4" downpipe and an adjustable wastegate as well.

I do have links to some threads were Super B Special users have posted their satisfaction with them, great positive feedback! I think there is a couple on this forum and a few on a couple others forums that I don't really want to post on here in respect to Competition Diesel. I can PM them to anyone interested and quote some Forum Member discounts for you, even point you in the direction of some great vendors I deal with that like to compete for your business, which is always good, free shipping etc...

Last edited:
I had a 64/71/13 on my truck and it would not be a problem and I could tow all day long Without my egts getting out of hand and that's on a common rail that runs much hotter than a vp truck. I am able to tow comfortably at over 500 hp

Back