Twins are on, but we need more boost..

TWINTURBODAVE

OK I am stumped.. ill admit iam a old school 2nd gen guy and I don't have that much experience with the CR's. I always thought the 03's came with 305 hp.? I just finished building a set of twins for my friends 2003 5.9 dodge and i looked on the engine and it says 235hp.. I didn't know they also made them with the 235hp version in 2003.
Anyways he stacked it with a Edge and a Superchips. he was barely seeing 30 psi of boost. Is this normal? Everything else is stock besides a free flowing exhaust. It is used for hauling cars and now with the twins is more than sufficient for what he needs.
He wantted something with a quick spool so I set it up with a small ht3b with a 23 hotside over his existing factory charger. He now sees 40-43 psi. It pulls good and is efficient for what he needs it for. My question is shouldn't there be a little more boost? i have set up many 12and 24valve trucks but never had this low amount of boost. I know a set of injector would wake things up, but like i said for the time being it is more than what he needs and will probally stay this way, but just for my knowlege are these boost #'s normal? Here is a pic of the setup, enjoy.. :thankyou2:

Attachments

• C R twins.jpg
    C R twins.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 82
they are 305, unless he has a SO engine,, but remember that is at the flywheel, not at the rear tires. With a boost fooler you can get around 40 psi with the stock turbo.

Which Edge is he running? EZ or Juice? The superchips is probably the weak link to that setup.

Kevin

they aren't all 305hp, we had a few trucks that were 235hp, is the boost fooler hooked up?

The California trucks are the 235 motors.Heck,I have a 235.Richard Brown has a 235 too.Motor isn't the issue.Issue is the programmers.

Every programmer except Banks, Superchip, and Bullydog bump up your power on the 235 motors.For example, When you plug in a Smarty to a 235hp motor,it will bump up the hp to a 305 and then the CaTcher files power after that.

With stock injectors and a 64/71/13, I was seeing 50 psi. The 03-04 turbo's are only effecient to 32 psi; after that your just making the turbo work to hard and pushing hot unwanted air.

before ya get too much more boost, what kind of studs are you using to keep the top, on top ?

i would also say the super chips is the problem i had one never really liked it in my truck. IS the edge a ez or a comp

I would imagine the boost numbers are okay he really does not have a lot of fuel to burn. no injectors, no pump, and no big fuel programmer

again was is a edge juice or ez? if it is an ez they it is only doing fueling and not boost fooling. with out a boost fooler your engine will cut back the fuel when you hit 30-32 psi of boost. you can get more than 30 psi out of stock cp3 and injectors you just need a boost fooler you could either ditch the superchips and go with another programmer like smarty or edge juice. smarty does not do boost fooling though.
personally for what he is using it for i would go with a edge juice with attitude stacked with the EZ. find someone with the smarty and load it on the truck and reset it to stock i think it will reset it as a 305 hp not the 235 hp. (don't hold me to that)

I am not sure on the edge?? I just seen it mounted under the hood by the fuse box, I believe he said it was a 75hp upgrade. As far as studs..he is running the stock bolts. He just picked up the truck and is more than happy with the way it now drives. He is not trying to race or make it an unreliable truck, but rather needed a truck that is reliable and not have to worry about the head or boots popping off. Like I said in the 1st post it was more for my knowledge. So in a nutshell if he every wanted to bump the power up he should dump the superchip and use a smarty with the Edge?

again was is a edge juice or ez? if it is an ez they it is only doing fueling and not boost fooling. with out a boost fooler your engine will cut back the fuel when you hit 30-32 psi of boost. you can get more than 30 psi out of stock cp3 and injectors you just need a boost fooler you could either ditch the superchips and go with another programmer like smarty or edge juice. smarty does not do boost fooling though.
personally for what he is using it for i would go with a edge juice with attitude stacked with the EZ. find someone with the smarty and load it on the truck and reset it to stock i think it will reset it as a 305 hp not the 235 hp. (don't hold me to that)

The EZ does boost fooling, as does an MP8 too.

I know that I borrowed my buddies Super Chumps and stacked it with my Edge. Way to much timing and lost power w/ my set up. I think its the fueling thats doing.