Twins on a 12v "53" block???

ckolloff

So when I bought this truck 8 years ago I had no idea about the 53 blocks and the potential for cracking at the time. I know this issue is primarily associated with 24valves but I'm thinking about putting a ht3b or s400 under my stock turbo and trying to get 500-600hp outta her. I don't want to spend a ton of money on studs, oring, headwork, tranny, etc. only to crack the damn block. (currently only 194k on the clock)

So the question is: Is 5-600hp too much for a 12v 53 block?

i dont think the twelve valves had any problems! just the 99s to 02s. i say twin it!

if the block is going to crack, it's going to crack... it has nothing to do with how much power you make.

but I have only heard of ONE 12v 53 block cracking. I wouldn't worry about it. I've owned two 98 12v trucks with 53 blocks

Cool. Anyone have any idea why it seems to affect the 24 valves more often? Is it the changes in the design of the head to run 24 valves or did the block construction deteriorate after a certain date of manufacture?

I'd say more of em out there = more failures as much as anything.

There are also supposed to be 2 different castings of 53 blocks...

there are multiple runs of 23 blocks... the earliest runs were in the 12v trucks, and they didn't seem to have the problems that the latest runs did

They did em in batches of 23 Forrest?:D:poke:

I was thinking the early ones were less prone to cracking, couldn't remember for sure enough to say it...

I have run 2 different 53 12V blocks, first one went 700 hp and the other went 870 and I never had an issue or even thought twice about it.

Jim

Honestly, I've never even looked to see if this truck has a 53 block or not. If it cracks, it cracks. I'll deal with it then. Not gonna worry about what might happen.

Supposedly the International blocks are the strongest. I've got one of those that's one of the most messed up blocks I've ever seen. All that engine had was a 10 plate...

if the block is going to crack, it's going to crack... it has nothing to do with how much power you make.

Not calling BS on this entirely but it doesn't make sense to me and I'd love to hear a rationale for this statement.

It would seem to me that more power is the result of more air/fuel in the combustion chamber which results in greater forces on the head, headgasket, head studs, cylinders, piston, rods, mains, etc. I just don't see how the block that contains all this could be exempt from the increased forces that come with more power. A flawed block would be far more likely live a long happy life in a stock 180hp truck then one pushing more than 3 times that.

Based on what folks are saying, I feel pretty good about moving ahead with my plan for compounds, especially since I only plan to go to 5-600hp.

the location that the blocks crack is not a power holding location... it's simply a casting flaw. it has to do with heat cycles and metal strength. there were COUNTLESS bone stock engines that cracked blocks... and COUNTLESS 98 12v blocks that made 600-700+hp that never cracked.

power has nothing to do with it. it's all about the casting quality, and if it was a poor casting it was going to crack no matter what IMO

From what has been told about the "53" blocks.It is the water jacket,outer layer,that is cracking,not the cylinders them selfs.

Forrest you posted faster than I could:doh:

From what I've noticed if you have a 053 block that has over 120k on it and it hasn't already cracked, chances are it isn't going to. But then again, there is luck like I have so anything is possible. :hehe:

Its not just 53 blocks but the 53 might have been more common my 1997 block cracked in the water Jack area and it was a 52 and it was stock. I have replaced blocks in trucks from 97 to 2001 some stock some not but I agree with forrest If its gonna crack it will in time no matter what the setup is

Its not just 53 blocks but the 53 might have been more common my 1997 block cracked in the water Jack area and it was a 52 and it was stock. I have replaced blocks in trucks from 97 to 2001 some stock some not but I agree with forrest If its gonna crack it will in time no matter what the setup is
I've suggested that before...

And power doesn't have anything to do with it, it's the water jacket that cracks...

Great explaination. I've got 195k on the clock and no problems yet, so I feel pretty good. Good enough to have just bought my ht3b! Thanks for the input everyone.

If you're that concerned, just let the truck warm up enough for the thermo to open, and relieve pressure on the water jacket, then you're good to go.

Back