Twins suggestions

derek528

I've thinking about building a set of twins. I plan on running a set of 5x14's with my 0 plate. The top charger is a hx35/40 hybrid with a 14 cm wg'ed housing. I am undecided on what to run on the bottom? I was thinking an s475. Would this work? What housing a/r should i look for? Any other suggestions on a bottom charger? The truck is a 100% street truck that I tow 8000 pounds with very rarely. I just want something that runs really good on the street without a lot of lag, and keeps my egt's low. I'm looking for 500 HP.

Thanks, Derek

I have an HT60 for sale that would work also. I was going to use it for twins, but decided not to build them.

s475 with a/r.1.32 is the most common s400 used in twin setups.

I've heard that the s400 series turbos are a better design than the older holsets. The s400's are also pretty reasonable. Are there any wastegated versions of the s475? I guess I could just run an external valve If boost gets to high. If you gate the top turbo at around 25 psi, how much boost would you expect for the hybrid/s475 setup? Where would you expect it to light? What about running a little smaller a/r, like 1.10 would that help reduce lag on a street truck? What would be the negative effects of a smaller a/r?

I've heard that the s400 series turbos are a better design than the older holsets. The s400's are also pretty reasonable. Are there any wastegated versions of the s475? I guess I could just run an external valve If boost gets to high. If you gate the top turbo at around 25 psi, how much boost would you expect for the hybrid/s475 setup? Where would you expect it to light? What about running a little smaller a/r, like 1.10 would that help reduce lag on a street truck? What would be the negative effects of a smaller a/r?

s475 is a s400 with 75mm wheel.

No wastegate.

60+psi.

light fairly soon.

smaller a/r. = quicker spool up and less top end.

Some of the holset turbos are reverse rotation, what does this mean? how do you have to change the setup to make the reverse rotation turbos work? Are there any good suppliers for brackets, hot pipes, ect? I think I would be better off buying some of the parts rather than building them.

I have an HT60 for sale that would work also. I was going to use it for twins, but decided not to build them.

Right now I'm just gathering info. If you when have it when I start shopping I might be interested.

Some of the holset turbos are reverse rotation, what does this mean? how do you have to change the setup to make the reverse rotation turbos work? Are there any good suppliers for brackets, hot pipes, ect? I think I would be better off buying some of the parts rather than building them.

Reverse rotation is in reference to which way the housing is "coiled". Basically if the air goes in clockwise or counter clockwise. The only difference is the way you have to build the piping and clearance. No performance is gained or lost. There is an HX60 and a HT60, not sure which is the reverse rotation...

The HT60 is reverse rotation. Pretty sure anything with the "HT" is reverse rotation. HT3B, HT4C, etc.

Last edited:
I had a K31 with a 75mm inducer a month ago.
I also have ordered several turbos from F. I. and have had zero issues and Dallas charges WAY more to ship so price is even.

would I want a race cover for this app? pros and cons of race cover?

I'm just wondering if I can get away with a 1.10 housing since my goal is only 500 hp. I want to have as little lag as possible. Are there any other places beside source automotive to get mounts, cold and hot pipes, ect? I can build them if I have to but if I could find them reaasonable I would go that route. Thanks for the links guys, those help.

Derek

would I want a race cover for this app? pros and cons of race cover?

I'm just wondering if I can get away with a 1.10 housing since my goal is only 500 hp. I want to have as little lag as possible. Are there any other places beside source automotive to get mounts, cold and hot pipes, ect? I can build them if I have to but if I could find them reaasonable I would go that route. Thanks for the links guys, those help.

Derek

Just get a smaller s400, like a 72mm. Instead of a small a.r, small a.r will hurt drive pressure on top end.

Or you could get a K31, like suggested above. You dont have to get a s475.

dmcpherson has a he351 over a s465. i imagine it has instant spool up, maybe pm him.

I ran the exact setup you are asking about HX35/40 over an S475 however I used an external gate on top instead of a WG'd housing when I was VP driven. Spool was very quick. Would be excellent for a street/towing truck IMO. Made right under 600 hp and 1400 ftlbs

Ran around 32 from the s475 and 33 from the HX35/40, total boost of 65.

There are better turbo's to run if you want instant spooling, however they aren't as cheap as this setup.

S483 over a S595 with race covers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of air

I ran the exact setup you are asking about HX35/40 over an S475 however I used an external gate on top instead of a WG'd housing when I was VP driven. Spool was very quick. Would be excellent for a street/towing truck IMO. Made right under 600 hp and 1400 ftlbs

Ran around 32 from the s475 and 33 from the HX35/40, total boost of 65.

There are better turbo's to run if you want instant spooling, however they aren't as cheap as this setup.

Thanks i'm really leaning toward this setup.