twins vs big single on stock bottom

steven_koenke

Hows it going everyone i need to fill out my sig but i have a 07 5.9 mega cab with a single 475 and 100% overs and a 11mm cp3 on it now. I have been kicking around the idea of twins maybe 66/80 or 66/83. mite bump the fuel up to 150% overs and put a stock lbz pump onto of my lmm.
Now the question is this, are twins going to be that much more stressful on the rods? would like to keep it under 1,000 horse maybe 900-950 range but its a 90k mile motor don't rly want to build it just yet would rather give it hell for a while.
so twins vs big single on the stock bottom?
any input appreciated!

The torque comes on sooner so yes it could be an issue with stock rods.

More like gamble....

With a tuner that knows what's up, twins will be fine.

475 with 100% overs and dual pumps, who does your tuning

currently have a base tune from ppei but was considering letting ryan tune it he tuned my old cummins and it ran good. but also was thinking innovative, or fire punk, I'm undecided on all of it.

More like gamble....

With a tuner that knows what's up, twins will be fine.

Exactly! Keeping fueling/low rpms in check is a must.

My current tuning is glorious for DD/ top end, I had Mike at ATP send me a new tune and it surprisingly made my compounds light 200rpms faster(1300) than where they had been(1500). Needless to say old tune back on truck.

I HIGHLY recommend you find a "conservative" tuner.

Can't go wrong with any of them, Gordon @ Innovative does mine

herd very good things about his tuning on stock bottom ends.. very much leaning towards giving him a try. you ever had your truck on a dyno? whose 475 are u running.

Never had it on a dyno, but I'm sure it's respectable. It's a Bullseye Power

Exactly! Keeping fueling/low rpms in check is a must.

My current tuning is glorious for DD/ top end, I had Mike at ATP send me a new tune and it surprisingly made my compounds light 200rpms faster(1300) than where they had been(1500). Needless to say old tune back on truck.

I HIGHLY recommend you find a "conservative" tuner.

your running a stock short block also i assume? I'm leaning towards twins, maybe ill call a few tuners and see what they say.

Yep, keep the power band high and the fueling,curve spool. You just want to avoid hard/fast(too early) shifting.

I DO NOT race nor will I, and I just like me some get up and go when I need it.

Also I regulate my spool with higher flowing AR housings. Will be putting an open dump WG on with,my new 1.0 housing to keep things happy drive pressure wise.

Side note....

Milliken is far from a subtle tuner lol, its hardway performance for a reason and doubt you want to find out why!

Last edited:
Yep, keep the power band high and the fueling,curve spool. You just want to avoid hard/fast(too early) shifting.

I DO NOT race nor will I, and I just like me some get up and go when I need it.

Also I regulate my spool with higher flowing AR housings. Will be putting an open dump WG on with,my new 1.0 housing to keep things happy drive pressure wise.

Side note....

Milliken is far from a subtle tuner lol, its hardway performance for a reason and doubt you want to find out why!

Yea i went through 3 comp 68s in my old 6.7 with hardway tunes although it did run like a raped ape lol. But I'm thinking I'm going to give innovative a shot this go around.

I run Starlite Diesel tuning in my 06. Went through a couple headgaskets initially when I went from a 66mm single to my 60/80 twins. But since we tamed down the midrange Zach's tuning has been awesome. I did 909hp to the wheels with my old setup and Zachs tuning.

Back