Two alternator setup for 12V Cummins?

AsTroSS

problems start @80 psi
Have somebody ever installed second alternator to 12V Cummins?

In cold climeate stock alternator is not enuff for : grid heater, electic fans,electric fuel pump, lights, stereo .....

Any ideas where to install and how ?

Member Hammer installed a High Output Alt here on his and posted a thread on it too-- Do some searching.....

I bought one of the Load Boss 220Amp alternators when my stocker wasn't keeping up with all the electrical stuff on the BigBadDodge puller, never had a problem after I installed it. pics on my web page

Get them here on Ebay, or directly through altastart.

94-98-NEW-DODGE-TRUCK-CUMMINS-DIESEL-ALTERNATOR-220-A

I hear the Mean Green stuff is great quality as well.

BBD

I just put a 205 amp Load Boss on mine and its keeping the voltage at 14.7 with just about everything I have on. But you can check out Autoworld.com. I think Ken over there has a dual setup.

Just a thought but have you had yours checked?
In both of my trucks I had a Diode go in the rectifier that made the alt weak, a new rectifier and all was good. The last one when checked was only putting out 64amps with the bad rectifier.

What kind of signs were you having that your Alt. was weak Rat? I run grease in my truck and have several additional loads that are all relayed but I still get a voltage drop at my grease pump on real cold mournings when everthing is drawing big current.........

Yep, volt gauge would read lower than normal when lots of load on like the grids and the stereo. On many cold wet days with the heater/wipers/lights/stereo/etc all running it wouldn't go up to the the same line as it used to especially on short trips. A good electrical shop will be able to test it in just a couple of minutes.

Anyone know if the stock alternators on the CR w/ the plow package(180 amp) are interchangeable with the 24V alternators? I think mine is a 120-136 amps?

Back