uh oh...head gasket time

CumminsCrazed

well guys as the title says, its time for me to get a head gasket.

truck started leaking oil from the front of the head about a week ago. not leaking horribly bad, but once the engine warms up and oil thins out itll leak probably about a 4x6 postcard size spot within about 5 mins of turning the truck off.

Anyway, ive been told the best route to go would be to replace with an OEM Cummins head gasket and obviously head studs.

Im also considering possibly o ringing the head gasket, but i have no clue what that entales, how to go about it, or if any shops around here will do it. So im asking you guys, educate me on o ringing a head/head gasket. Also, curious on what range of money id be looking at to replace head gasket as well as o ring the head/head gasket. Can be what you shop owners would charge, or what you guys have paid as a customer. Just needing to get some numbers in my head.

Let me know guys!
Thanks!

Call CSnyder on here, you are semi close to him and he will lead you down the right path.

Mine leaked in the same spot, replaced with a new head, o-rings/studs and cummins head gasket. No problems since. The o-rings are actually on the head, and the press into the gasket that surrounds each cylinder.

well guys as the title says, its time for me to get a head gasket.

truck started leaking oil from the front of the head about a week ago. not leaking horribly bad, but once the engine warms up and oil thins out itll leak probably about a 4x6 postcard size spot within about 5 mins of turning the truck off.

Anyway, ive been told the best route to go would be to replace with an OEM Cummins head gasket and obviously head studs.

Im also considering possibly o ringing the head gasket, but i have no clue what that entales, how to go about it, or if any shops around here will do it. So im asking you guys, educate me on o ringing a head/head gasket. Also, curious on what range of money id be looking at to replace head gasket as well as o ring the head/head gasket. Can be what you shop owners would charge, or what you guys have paid as a customer. Just needing to get some numbers in my head.

Let me know guys!
Thanks!

Sounds like a head gasket. Only use oem Cummins head gasket others have had issues sealing and lasting. O rings are a grove that you put a * usually*stainless steel wire in that will protrude about .011 in from the head surface on the gaskets fire ring. The fire ring is the metal circle on the gasket for each cylinder. The Protruding ring can be on the head or the block or both. This extra depth allows for a much better camping force on the gaskets fire ring. There are down sides to this though, It takes more re-torques to fully seat the gasket, and if the O ring isnt at the right depth can cause sealing issues with the coolant and oil passages on the gasket. Also if the head has to be decked again you will need to recut your grove. If done right It will last a very long time and seal very well. Plenty of people have just done an oring and no studs with good luck using NEW head bolts. Also a common mis conception is that if the head is decked then you need an over sized gasket, On a gasoline engine which has a combustion chamber this is accurate but on a diesel it is not. The ONLY time you need to get a thicker gasket is if the BLOCK is decked. You may need to get the valves recessed if you have a lot taken off the head but most good machine shops know this. The standard thickness gasket imo holds the best and dosnt reduce your compression. The average going rate for an o-ring is around $300 but can be more or less. Chris is a great guy to deal with but if you just need parts I would use jeff mumau.

I get mixed up every once in a while but I think that answers most of your questions and a few you didnt ask.:Cheer: Good to see you posting here zach

well chris has got my business, so my truck is in his hands next week, i think he knows what hes doin, sounds like hes done a LOT of em!

yup i dropped her off to him today.....hes gonna do the gasket, ARP studs, o rings and port the exhaust side of the head

Back