Ulsd

BigUgly

10-51
Hey guys;
I'm looking into getting a newer Diesel later this year / early next year, I'm stuck between a Dodge (love the Cummins) and a Chevy (like the Allison).
So how are the 3rd gens taking the ULSD? Any troubles stock or at about 450 hp? Change in mpg or power?
Thanks guys.
Josiah

I don't get the question.. They are designed to run on ULSD. The builder has nothing to do with mileage. That's all the fuel.

Jeff, I'm talking about the 3rd gens before the 6.7L. Just looking for any info on how the trucks reacted to the switch over to the new ULSD. I'm wondering if the milage dropped alot or the power. Basicly, I'm wondering how these trucks are doing with the lower sulfur.
Josiah

I drove my 2006 From Colorado to Las Vegas Last Week. I had to stop and fill up with the ULSD.(Normally run on that not so green fuel.) I have dual fuelers and HUGE injectors, it ran just fine. Obviously, I can't be to concerned with fuel mileage, because of my setup, it just pours black coal at cruise. lol But in terms of performance, it ran just fine. Didn't notice much power loss nor gain.

we do mileage runs at my work.. They recorded a 4% decrease in fuel mileage. These are trucks with the same motors, Same weight in the trailers, Same route. As far as power. I haven't really seen a difference. The larger motors like the Cats and Cummins in Kenworth's. I noticed they started rating them about 10 hp more. But made the same amount of horsepower on the dyno. And the 03+ Dodge's were all designed to run on ULSD. They started testing the stuff over 15 years ago.

ULSD KILL SEALS!!!!
SAVE THE SEALS!!!!!

It's Killing the seals in first Gen (VE) pumps daily. BTU content is roughly 7% less than the prievious Low Sulfer Fuel, hence the slightly lower milage / performance. 3rd gen pumps are are ULSD ready.

B.U. ...Exactally what is it you "LIKE" about the Allison ???
(cool avitar BTW ;-)

Matt, two things I like about the Allison, that other gear and a "Tow/Haul mode" that locks the TC. Didn't have that on my 2000, not sure if the 3rd gens have a similar feature in the 48re's.
Jeff, I didn't know the 3rd gen 5.9s were set-up for ULSD already, cool. I was worried about seals like in the VE pumps Matt is refering to.
Josiah

if you like the allison for the shifting,
buy an 07 cummins 6.7 and it has the same shifting on the column.

chase n.

Chase;
That is an option, but I'm not as likely to be able to swing a brand new truck. As it is, I'll probably aim for a 3rd gen dodge, not only is the Cummins a plus, but the dodge 4X4 looks like a friggin 4X4 truck!:clap:
Josiah