Undual disc my daily?

TheSilverBullet

All the correction factor
Well unfortunately my daily drivers transmission went over the weekend. Got another trans going in tomorrow and got me thinking how much I hate my clutch.

First off I do tow often and fairly heavy. I have gooseneck grain trailer I use and I have scaled over 40k before. (DOT would love me)

The current clutch is a 3250 ceramic south bend dual disc. It's grabby as hell and sucks towing in town and backing up with my 354s

The motor is a 180 p pump 24 valve. It has a 188 Hamilton cam 150hp injectors wich was done by the PO so I have no proof. Pump has a 4gsk in it and a billet 60 wheel hx 35.

This truck does run extremely well so I believe it has injectors and runs really clean and cool on the pyro. I know boost is restriction but it bangs 48 psi which I think is odd on this setup? Esp since I have the pump pretty conservative.

So I have an HD hub organic valair single laying around and thought about throwing it in there but I don't think it would hold esp towing heavy. I'm not against buying a different single like the ceramic/ kevlar one but most everyone runs DD 3250s.

So honestly is the dual disc overkill? There's a lot of trucks with just a tune or injectors with a dual disc. I think a single would suite better its half the price if anymore mods were out of the question.

Kind of think the dual disc is like Hamilton cams or industrial injection where people are just buying advertising and its the same box turbo you can get anywhere else.

So thoughts opinions? Thank you

just get an organic dual disc... South Bend has a few different organic options.

Organic street clutches are butter but they hold

^^^ this

My "street" southbend DD was great. A little jumpy at times in reverse, but a little throttle would quit it.

My valair 3850 ceramic in my 98 engages really smooth. It had a 3250 southbend in it before and did the same crap. So you think a single is out of question? I might put a 62/65 on it in future but that's it

I have installed both the Valair and south end dual organic clutches and they are nice. Act just like factory with more holding power. Plus the quieted them down so they are not as noisy. I would go to one of those if you can.

I was thinking about that. My surfaces are great and it's a quiet series. Might see if they would sell me just the discs

The clutch in the green truck is ceramic and organic faces. It's not grabby. The clutch in the truck that towed you home is a Single.. sb con ofe if I remember. Both are real smooth. More that welcome to drive either one for the feel if ya want Jake.

Thanks Colton. Decided to throw it together and run it still. Need the truck going. I'll look into it more this winter when I have time lol

Thanks Colton. Decided to throw it together and run it still. Need the truck going. I'll look into it more this winter when I have time lol

For future reference Peter at South Bend can rebuild your clutch disc's / pressure plate how ever you want it. He can line the disc's with whatever material he thinks will best suit your needs. Call and talk to him sometime he's a great guy to talk clutches with and shoot the breeze!

Last edited:
My brother had the big Southbend single in his 12v and hated it, I agree with everyone else, organic dual disk.

Had an organic southbend 3250 DD in my 99 dually and it was as smooth as the stocker, except it held the power.