up-grading turbo - how much more power ?

1965LONEWOLF

lonewolf
up-grading to a super phat shaft 62/12 turbo next week , mainly to decrease my exhaust temps , but wondering how much more horsepower i will gain ?
if you read my signature you'll see what i have done to the truck so far and what i am making for power with the stock turbo , so let me know what you think?
staun.gif
:ft:

Why are you wasting your money on a 62mm turbo with a 71 mm turbine wheel?

The 64mm turbine on the regular phat shaft will work just as well, and save you some money.

Oh, and get a 14cm exhaust housing, it will lower your egts more.

thats what i was recommended and i am going with it , i wish more people would chime in with comments on how they like there super phat shaft 62 turbo , and i will be towing alot this summer and i have a 48re and i want it to live , if i had a 6 speed it would be a different story ,

Did you ever think that no one is using a super phat shaft 62/12 because it is a waste of money?

I installed one on a 01 HO with mach 4's and a smarty. I was not impressed.

The super phat shaft will do nothing that a regular phat shaft won't do, and the regular phat shaft is 300 dollars less.

But, this is the same thing I recommended in your last turbo post, and you didnt listem to me then, so I doubt you will now.

MKoth said:
Why are you wasting your money on a 62mm turbo with a 71 mm turbine wheel?

The 64mm turbine on the regular phat shaft will work just as well, and save you some money.

Oh, and get a 14cm exhaust housing, it will lower your egts more.
^What!?^ Have you looked at the specs of the SS?

DWitcher said:
^What!?^ Have you looked at the specs of the SS?

Ok then, explain what the advantage of using a 71mm turbine wheel, with a 62mm compressor is.

Not to sure. They say they spool slower then come on rapidly due to the low drive pressure wheels and a 13mm stainless steel turbine housing. From what I've read people who have them love them.

Last edited:
sellufishman said:
anyone running a super phat shaft 62/12 ? how do you like it compared to a stock turbo ?:what:
I ran a htb2 62/12 and could make 485 hp @ 40lbs boost. It is a great towing turbo and spools quick. I changed the turbine housing to a 14cm and didn't see much differance. A little less boost at lower rpms.

Billyram said:
I ran a htb2 62/12 and could make 485 hp @ 40lbs boost. It is a great towing turbo and spools quick. I changed the turbine housing to a 14cm and didn't see much differance. A little less boost at lower rpms.

Thats a 62mm compressor, 64mm turbine setup, right?

DWitcher said:
Not to sure. They say they spool slower then come on rapidly due to the low drive pressure wheels and a 13mm stainless steel turbine housing. From what I've read people who have them love them.

When the turbine wheel is the same size or smaller then the compressor wheel, you will get turbo surge.

The 71mm is primarily used to stop compressor surge caused by using a 64mm or 66mm compressor wheel.The trade off is slower spooling. A 10 blade wheel is used on the 71mm turbine to lower drive pressures, and help spool quicker.

With a 62mm compressor, there is no surge issues with using a 64mm turbine wheel.

A 64mm turbine wheel will spool faster then a 71mm turbine wheel.

I went with a regular Phat Shaft 62-14. The dually weighed in at 8,040 pounds with me in it and ran a 13.04 at 103 with no lockup switch. PS62 14, 90 hp DDP injectors, Scary Larry. That's pretty much it.. I'm now returning the dually to stock, and installing this combo on an 06 standard cab 2wd.. If it's a cracked injector, I may try another box. The small truck should be a little quicker..

I like the combo, but just fyi the truck now has blow by.. It hasn't been torn down yet to see what the problem is..

Smokem said:
The 11-blade turbine is a little closer to 65mm than 64mm. Who have you been talking to? Your comments are starting to make sense.

I know a guy......

Back