Upgrade CVs for pulling?

Blackbumper

Could be worse!
Are there heavier CV's available for the duramaxs we have a guy that pulls with us and every other pull he is shelling one out. He lowered the front end and that helped a bunch but is still having problems.

Are there heavier CV's available for the duramaxs we have a guy that pulls with us and every other pull he is shelling one out. He lowered the front end and that helped a bunch but is still having problems.

Make sure ot has stock torsion bar keys not the leveling green keys. Lower the frontend, Strap the center link, get tierod sleeves. Also dont get carried away with raising the backend of the truck up in the air.

If you break a CV get new ones from GM not the parts store junk.

Man Breaking CV Shafts? Sounds like it has torsion bar keys under it. JB has you on the right path to pull your truck!

Stock keys and definitely GM shafts. centerlink or braces installed ?

He has all the upgrades to the tie rods and centerlink and lowered but if I remember right the last set he got it was from NAPA not GM.

Man Breaking CV Shafts? Sounds like it has torsion bar keys under it. JB has you on the right path to pull your truck![/quote]

If you are talking about my 08 I hooked once with it in a stock pull and watched the front tires toe in on the video so I will stick with the track only truck but those Dmaxs do run hard and can get some speed!

if you upgrade the shafts then plan on replacing the differential regularly.....cause it is the next part in line to break......and im going to guess the shafts are cheaper than the diff.....

if you upgrade the shafts then plan on replacing the differential regularly.....cause it is the next part in line to break......and im going to guess the shafts are cheaper than the diff.....

you know all about this dont you? it seems like more fords and dodges are breaking front diffs than our weak aluminum ifs front diffs in pulling trucks. is that what the teachers at unoh taught you? more fiction than facts

you know all about this dont you? it seems like more fords and dodges are breaking front diffs than our weak aluminum ifs front diffs in pulling trucks. is that what the teachers at unoh taught you? more fiction than facts

Pick up a issue of FOURWHEELER magazine and read the repeated articles on project Red Sled's CV shaft problem, its a common problem in these trucks, I had a friend spit a CV out just hooking bumper to bumper in wet grass with a 6.5 in a 96 model 2500 chevy, .....The Red Sled's front diff lasted about 30 yards on the trail before it split in half cause the upgraded shafts wouldnt break like the weak stock ones, and call EMS offroad and ask them they arent offering the free spin kit for the IFS chevys, because if they sell upgraded CV's (cost prohibitive is another reason) they know it will bust the differential if taken offroad......why do you think the diff isnt failing.....because the CV is the weak point and it fails before the diff does.......its like anything you build, you upgrade the tranny and the t-case breaks, you upgrade the t-case, then a driveshaft goes, bigger driveshafts now and your next in line is the diff, but the diff is stronger than the CV's, so they will fail next instead of the diff, BUT if you make the CV's stronger than the diff it moves your failure point back to the diff......and you get a diff thats split in half......

Well last night 2 Dmaxs broke something in the front the Dodges and Fords 0. And that is the reason that I originally posted this it seems that the front is a weak spot. Just this year one truck has broke 6 cvs. I would have to say his info has more facts than fiction.

Pick up a issue of FOURWHEELER magazine and read the repeated articles on project Red Sled's CV shaft problem, its a common problem in these trucks, I had a friend spit a CV out just hooking bumper to bumper in wet grass with a 6.5 in a 96 model 2500 chevy, .....The Red Sled's front diff lasted about 30 yards on the trail before it split in half cause the upgraded shafts wouldnt break like the weak stock ones, and call EMS offroad and ask them they arent offering the free spin kit for the IFS chevys, because if they sell upgraded CV's (cost prohibitive is another reason) they know it will bust the differential if taken offroad......why do you think the diff isnt failing.....because the CV is the weak point and it fails before the diff does.......its like anything you build, you upgrade the tranny and the t-case breaks, you upgrade the t-case, then a driveshaft goes, bigger driveshafts now and your next in line is the diff, but the diff is stronger than the CV's, so they will fail next instead of the diff, BUT if you make the CV's stronger than the diff it moves your failure point back to the diff......and you get a diff thats split in half......

The post was about sled pulling not offroading. So what you read in the magizine means very little. Your argueing with second hand info with guys that actually do it. I have defended you more than once. I thank you for what you do for our country. But you should have stayed out of this one.
Done right they will live along time. I know I beat the hell out mine.:eek:wned:

I leave the line at almost 4800rpm with over 1000lbs hanging and no issues in 3 years of pulling. If you set it up right they are very strong and will take more power than most will ever make!

Well last night 2 Dmaxs broke something in the front the Dodges and Fords 0. And that is the reason that I originally posted this it seems that the front is a weak spot. Just this year one truck has broke 6 cvs. I would have to say his info has more facts than fiction.
Set them up right. They will live. Dont and you will pay.

I do this with all stock frontend parts.
YouTube - Stoneboro Thunderpull 8000 Open

Very tight track!
YouTube - FPP PS New Lexington OH 2009

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies I will let him know even though he is a competitor and when it holds together it cleans house. What are friends for!?

The post was about sled pulling not offroading. So what you read in the magizine means very little. Your argueing with second hand info with guys that actually do it. I have defended you more than once. I thank you for what you do for our country. But you should have stayed out of this one.
Done right they will live along time. I know I beat the hell out mine.:eek:wned:

I leave the line at almost 4800rpm with over 1000lbs hanging and no issues in 3 years of pulling. If you set it up right they are very strong and will take more power than most will ever make!

Very tight track!

yes, the stock CV's will last a long time, alot of the trucks out there pulling are not breaking them, but if a truck has enough power to break them regularly (when setup correctly), upgrading to better CV's will move your problem to the differential, now if someone hasnt set the truck up correctly (t-bars to high, etc....) then all bets are off at what will fail first, most likely the CV though from it being at a bad angle......

I know of several stock 200k+ mile dodge Dana 60's in pulling trucks that have never been touched.

Not saying the chevy's front diff is weak, but the Dana 60 is nothing to laugh at.

Very tight track!

Haven't been on or posted for a long time...

Johnboy is spot on!

I have a very large customer base of farmers who tend to use their trucks as tractors and I have seen some interesting broken stuff over the years, but since the 2001 model year I have only had 2 customers break a CV and both were on the end of the shaft in the front diff. Both trucks were still being driven and used daily until they had time to get it looked at.

My truck has pulled for three seasons on all stock driveline components except the Allison, Tierod Sleeves and Centerlink. I have never seen a CV break...except on the internet of course.

Ignorance will cause casualties...