Upgraded from dinosaur to cr. May need some help on this one.

90dodge

Always Broke
So I finally upgraded. It is a 2006 qcsb 2wd bighorn with 97000 miles. Doesn't even have any paint scratched off in the receiver hitch, no gooseneck hitch, and the bed is spotless. Apparently it was used as a pilot truck for a company.

It has a bad engine. Had a reman long block put in it that had sit in the bed for over a year. So ofcourse when they installed it something went bad. (Still ran though) Shop said it lost compression in one of the cylinders, so instead of spending money on it he just wanted rid of it.

I bought it for 5000. I'll get some pictures up here in a few minutes.

First thing im going to do is do a compression test and find out which cylinder, and then squirt some oil in it with leak down and see if its got a bad ring (what I figured). Maybe i'll get lucky and it will be bad valve adjustments or something though.

Good buy there. Pull the head and have a look.

I'm going to start working on it as soon as I get the transmission back in my 12v and get it out of the way. I'm hopeful I won't have any problems fixing this engine in it, but we will see.

Where is a good place for me to get injectors tested and reworked? That won't charge me and arm and a leg.

Awesome pics...if I was laying down. I'm ready to tear into it. :D

:hehe:

At least you know who to blame. :D
Just as well, he deserves it. :cool:

Very nice truck, BTW.

Mark.
Thanks. This is the one I was telling you about.

1. I have a theory. Is it possible that the rings is stuck on the low compression cylinder, and I could possibly just get it soaked with some wd 40 or something to get it broke loose?

Since the engine sat so long before it was installed I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

2. Where can I get a quality/inexpensive compression tester?

3. I still plan on sending the injectors off. Where is best?

Since it's reportedly a reman, I'd hook it heavy and get it hot, the only thing it can do is still leak in the affected cylinder(s).

If any of the cylinders were rusted when they fired it, the damage, if any were to happen, is likely already done.
Chances are it's a stuck ring, most likely it's pitted bore(s), though.

If it's a stuck ring, sometimes getting it up to temp and working it will pop the rings loose, especially on one that should have a minimal amount of carbon/soot deposits.

Keep in mind, a rusted cylinder can glaze over once the piston rings move over the surface.
If you've ever tried to sand a very surface rusty body panel with a DA sander, you know what I mean. It turns a darker color, then sandpaper won't touch it.

Mark.

A bore scope should tell me if the cylinders have problems right?

Give you a good idea if one Is F'd or not most likely.

Marvel mystery oil in the cylinder If you don't find anything obvious. And work it.

To make you feel better, very good friend of mine owns his own shop and deals trucks as well. He bought a late 05 4wd crew cab 6 speed truck two weeks ago. Had a dead cylinder. He assumed an exhaust valve by the way it was acting.
Pulled it in, had already sent a spare head out for machining, got to looking, someone had ran the overhead or had the head off and when it went back together, the #6 exhaust valve was too tight and holding the valve open. Reset the lash and has been driving the truck since then for a couple weeks till it goes up for sale.

Good looking truck and I'm rather jealous.

Last edited:
Ya I'm glad I picked it up. I've prepared for the worst as in having to replace the whole engine, but hopefully I can save this one, as long as serious damage hasn't been done on the inside.

Looks like I'm sending the injectors off to Formula diesel to get tested and or replaced. Haven't heard anything bad about them so I figured it was a good choice considering price.

You could get lucky and maybe a valve bridge fell out, its not very common in my experience but its possible.

So I got my compression tester and bore scope in. Didn't see anything weird with the bore scope so I put the compression tester on and tried cranking by hand. Couldn't get barely any psi like that and then my tester screen went out so I unhooked the adapter and tried pulling it out of the injector bore and it was stuck. Even after charging the battery and cranking it over with the starter it still wouldn't come out. : /

The injectors were pulled and rockers were removed when I bought it. They stopped working on it the second the customer said he was done spending money on it.

On the compression test its with the starter and a good battery. Did you make rotate a full cycle with the bore scope in the hole? More than likely it was off center slightly and the piston pushed it some while deforming it.

I didn't cycle it any with the bore scope in the hole. I only cycled it a few times with the battery trying to get the compression adapter out. The battery was a little dull. Only showed about 30 psi those few times I cycled it.

Back