Upside Down NP205 Case? .... Need Input

Tpull123

So in the middle of mounting the transfercase in my 78 CHevy with cummins conversion (2wd NV4500 with Divorced Pass Drop NP205 case), I realized how tight the Passenger side drop , and running the exhaust was going to be. First thought was to buy a Ford NP205 drivers side drop and go that way, which would also allow me to run a Dodge Dana 60. But a quick search and I realize that all the money I just spent in 1410 Yokes would be wasted as the GM32 obviously will not slide on a Ford 31 spline (unless a really big hammer is involved!!). So plan was to plunge forward with just clocking the transfercase down a bit and making a little extra room on top of the case while sacrificing ground clearance, which really wasn't too big of a deal for me since I will not be rock crawling or anything. But just had a crazy Idea......can I run my GM passenger drop NP205 upside down?? This way I can run a Dodge dana 60 ( found one with 4.10's complete for $300 ready to go) , and open lots of room for my exhaust!!!

Did a quick search and the only thing that may be a down fall is potential leak from shifter leakage?? Anyone want to give their 2 cents on this idea?? A little input now saves a Bunch of work later!! thanks.

ya my only anf first though was leakage throught the shifter rods. well that and mounting holes.

Well luckily this is a custom project, and I am building a complete sub structure of tubing that will use bolt to the transfer case solid, then I have 4 1/2" bolts that mount the sub structure to the frame through polyurathene bushings. So no mounting issues. Only major concerns are oiling system and leaks. Does anyone have the NP205 maunal, or know if it uses an oil pump with a pickup tube?

it does not use an oil pump, it is an open case, case is only half full of oil.

Giggity Giggity!! That may answer my question with that being my biggest fear that mounting this bad boy upside down would starver her of oil.

i would measure the amount of oil that goes in it to the fill hole in the correct orientation.

then when you flip it over see where the fill hole ends up, might be low, might be high?

I looked at a few ford NP205's here after reading about your issue and the ones I have use 32 spline yokes. The front and rear outputs and the input on a divorced one. The mated ones have a 31 spline female input shaft.

northwestfab.com black box to be used as a coupler-also has clocking ability's and cable shift.

or run a np241 you can get a 32spline version(rare) with a passengerside drop and then run the chevy diff
or you can use a newer dodge np241 and run the dodge/ford diff.

all the planataries are interchangable

i had a 32 spline input/output with a s10np231 tailshaft in my crawler...super tuff.

Last edited:
I think a 241 would be everything you need. Swap your 2wd 4500 for a 4x and bolt everything together.

Edit.
We run a 241 upside down in my boss' crawler, but its mated to a th400. :D

Last edited:
Why are you going with a weaker front axle? The Chevy Dana 60 is far superior to the unit bearing, ball joint, 94+ Dodge Dana 60. Cause that is the only Dodge 60 that is driverside drop unless you go with a 03+ AAM axle. If I was you I would just deal with the exhaust issues instead of rigging everything together with this and that and hope it works and not divide by zero and implode into a black hole, and here is the reason why. Would you rather have something you can fix with common parts or have something that will need alot of custom stuff and be hard to fix since I'm assuming its a daily driver. There has been alot of guys do this swap so there is something that can be done about it without running t-cases upside down or this or that backwards...

I have decided to stick with it as is. I now have a dana 60 passenger side drop. and the thing is up on wheels!! see picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_1532 small.JPG
    IMG_1532 small.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
my neighbor has a 89 chevy crewcab lwb cummins and he is still running the passengerside drop axle with the a 4in exhaust he has no problems with clearance

alot of my issues with exhaust stem from the divorced case. I am dealing with it though.

I have a 72 chevy with a 12v 47rh and a NP205 with a 92 Dodge D60. I as well will have exhaust clearance if I want to put 4" in it. But I think with some creativity, I can get it in there.

Back