Use older Dana 60 hubs on later Dana60, to rid unit bearings?

Racer9

Can one use older Dodge Dana 60 hubs, or stubs, or ??, on a later Dana 60, ('96) to eliminate the unit bearings, and gain lockout hubs?
My eyes are starting to bleed from searching.
I know there's a Ford swap, just having a little trouble finding those.

Can one use older Dodge Dana 60 hubs, or stubs, or ??, on a later Dana 60, ('96) to eliminate the unit bearings, and gain lockout hubs?
My eyes are starting to bleed from searching.
I know there's a Ford swap, just having a little trouble finding those.

yes I have done it on my 96 dodge
Parts needed if your going to redrill the spindle holes
Dana 50 or dana 60 Spindle
Dana 60 outer axle stub
Dana 50 or 60 lock out make sure the spline count matches the axle stub
1985 f350 rotors they spec out 12.5 "
here are some pics of mine

before
IMAG0510_zpsa503fc93.jpg

IMAG0486_zps3e28ac05.jpg

IMAG0487_zpsf1396441.jpg

IMAG0488_zps15f8c536.jpg

IMAG0489_zpse93a89f0.jpg

IMAG0490_zps7e0739ed.jpg

spindle redrill
IMAG0483_zps26938b01.jpg

IMAG0484_zpsfa9ac5ba.jpg

IMAG0482_zps97d15e01.jpg

IMAG0499_zpsec6fc080.jpg

I've seen and saved the pirate4x4 site info, as well as some others.
Not enoughsmoke, I was asking about using Dodge older axle parts, hoping it would be a bolt in, or just drill spindle and keep all Dodge parts, it doesn't appear that is possible.
I had read about using the Dana50 parts. Probably the way I'll end up going. Could you use the Dodge calipers?

Spyntrac, dynatrac, etc, just cost too much.
I have access to lots of older GM parts, someone did that, but it requires a spacer. Might pull one apart and see.

I've seen and saved the pirate4x4 site info, as well as some others.
Not enoughsmoke, I was asking about using Dodge older axle parts, hoping it would be a bolt in, or just drill spindle and keep all Dodge parts, it doesn't appear that is possible.
I had read about using the Dana50 parts. Probably the way I'll end up going. Could you use the Dodge calipers?

Spyntrac, dynatrac, etc, just cost too much.
I have access to lots of older GM parts, someone did that, but it requires a spacer. Might pull one apart and see.

You can use the dodge caliper but requires a 1/4" spacer between the hub and rotor IIRC.

Monkey Fist Rage

I have a set of new spindles if you are interested. I was gathering parts to do mine, but changed my mind.

Am I nuts? I'm thinking of pulling it apart, removing the outer axles and putting it back together, and running it to see if I gain any mileage. Wouldn't even need to pull the right side due to the axle disconnect. Of course I'd tie the inner axle in place to prevent fubar.

Am I nuts? I'm thinking of pulling it apart, removing the outer axles and putting it back together, and running it to see if I gain any mileage. Wouldn't even need to pull the right side due to the axle disconnect. Of course I'd tie the inner axle in place to prevent fubar.

Nuts for what? The CAD is the only reason i haven't done mine. I don't like the idea of the extra components. I have a ford kingpin in the back yard. I would really rather shove that whole assembly under it than to rape it just for the wheel ends

Monkey Fist Rage

NEVER run a unit bearing hub without the stub shaft. The stub holds the bearing together, it will fail in very short order without the stub holding it together - like tens of miles short order.

If you can find a ball joint 60 you can swap all the outer parts as you know. If you want to keep the dodge knuckles and brakes you'll be redrilling spindles as shown above and you have to be sure you're running a proper length stub.

Take a look in the dodge section on Pirate, there's a huge thread that's almost always on the first page on this exact topic.

Going to Ford outers on my '97 I picked up close to 15% economy.

NEVER run a unit bearing hub without the stub shaft. The stub holds the bearing together, it will fail in very short order without the stub holding it together - like tens of miles short order.

If you can find a ball joint 60 you can swap all the outer parts as you know. If you want to keep the dodge knuckles and brakes you'll be redrilling spindles as shown above and you have to be sure you're running a proper length stub.

Take a look in the dodge section on Pirate, there's a huge thread that's almost always on the first page on this exact topic.

Going to Ford outers on my '97 I picked up close to 15% economy.

That right there is some real good info! Thank you for that.

Just get everything from the balljoints out from a 91 to 97 Ford Dana 60 and bolt it on, done deal...