Used Hotrod vp

A guy by me has a Hotrod vp forsale for $500. He says it has 50,000 on it and hes going to a p-pump swap. How long do these pumps ussually last is it worth the price or just p pump my truck? Looking to do compete in the 2.5 class by me.

The price seems fair, although it has some mileage on it. How old is it in years? If it was supplied with Fass or Airdog probably don't have to worry about the fuel side going bad. I would worry more about the electronics on the vp-44 after 3 years or so. Some make it some don't.

If your going to be competitive in the 2.5 class I would recommend taken that 500$ and putting it toward a swap. Your biggest limiting factor will be the RPMs that you can not get with a VP.

I did a lot of research when replacing my vp and it seemed hit or miss with the hot rods. Some people loved them and others hated it. I've read a lot about them taking a in less than 50,000 but who knows. I agree with CumminNotRunnin going for the swap, especially if you're going to pull. I decided against the swap just because my truck is going to be a DD/toy, not a designated puller. I personally like the ease of electronics when the work..

Like they said I would go p-pump, although (as long as the pump is still in good working condition) ive seen those pumps run dam good.

Hot rod pumps already have timing added in correct? So would you need just a fueling box or somethimg that'll let you pull some timing out?

Yeah thats correct, I've heard of people tapping the pump with a timing box but its completely pointless.. Say your pump adds 15 degrees and your box adds 17, your added timing in your pump doesn't matter at that point. You could use a smarty and use the odd numbers i believe. Someone correct me if i'm backwards

I'd say it's worth 500 but to me any vp can go out whenever it pleases

If you have a vp timing table.... then post it... Because no one does. HRVP's will gain a bit from a tming box, I have made the most power with timing and added fueling. The wiretap has nothing to do with timing, just fueling.