Using a dyno for hp pulling classes?

ryanihw350

1stGENPULLER
I had the thought awhile back about using a dyno to get all the trucks RWH and Divide them into HP classifications, ie Workstock class from 300-400hp, 2.6 400-500hp and so on. So it wouldn't matter what turbo you have, everyone would be within 100hp of each other and so it would rely more on how your truck is setup and how you drive it.

This is just an idea I had for an pulling event we were doing but never did follow through with it. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is of it.
I know it would cost money to get the dyno there, then it would take more time to dyno the truck than teching the turbo, and newer electronic trucks could turn the tune down and sandbag.
Just a thought since I seen threads with the 2.6 turbos. It would make a more even HP playing field.

Remind me to put a block of wood under the pedal and leave the valet switch on.

haha, was just gonna say a valet switch would do it for the p-pump trucks. i really cant see that working out too good for a pull.
Garrett

yeah didn't think about that for the p pumps. Just an idea I was entertaining.

So... What if you have a 1100 rwhp Truck in a 400-500 rwhp class, because it can not produce xxxx amount of Horsepower on the dyno?

Definitely wouldn't work... I know of a local guy who could only make 400ish on the dyno with a 07 CR with a 3.0 single because he couldn't get the turbo to light. And when pulling that same truck was definitely making over 600 if not closer to 700hp in the 2.6 class.

My 12v only made 488 on the dyno. It lit the turbo for about two seconds and it was half a$$ed only made 25psi. I would love to pull in that horsepower range of guys! It would never work the 3.0 guys would be pulling a lower class than the 2.6 guys. Unless someone can make a dyno that simulates a sled lol. The thought kinda crossed my mind but then i got a little first hand experience on how hard it is to dyno a single turboed truck with a hell of a lot of timeing.

Back