Using chain for driveshaft hoops?

swanman

Cummins Nut
i had the idea for using some heavy chain and weld the links in an oval for driveshaft hoops. anyone know of any rules against it or some reason it wont work? just thought it would look pretty good and figure it would do the job. let me know your opinions!

I think you idea would look cool if done right. However, like Jake said most sanctioning bodies require shields at least 6" wide over the joints. And think about it this way, with a U joint exploding, there will be lots of little pieces trying to exit. Chain won't contain that under the truck. But I'll give you props for thinking outside the box. When I read the title I was thinking you wanted to just have floppy chain around your driveshaft. LOL

i had the idea for using some heavy chain and weld the links in an oval for driveshaft hoops. anyone know of any rules against it or some reason it wont work? just thought it would look pretty good and figure it would do the job. let me know your opinions!

:rules: have fun at work man!

Make a shield then lay chain over it or weld up the chain to the required specs then lay chain on the inside to fill up the holes, plenty of ways you could do it I'm sure.

You could use this then plate inside it...

DSC_7993.jpg

Ive seen it on a few trucks, not U Joint sheilds just driveshaft loops.......

IMO I think it would stop the driveshaft from hitting the ground and thats about it. Its not going to stop the driveshaft from banging around the underside and tearing some stuff up!!!!

yea thanks for all the input guys im liking all the thoughts. i was thinking about putting a thick rubber shield around the u joints and using the chain just for loops.

My friends and I also thought about using chain for drive shaft loops I thought it would look really cool if done right, post up pics if you do it I would like to see it.

yea thanks for all the input guys im liking all the thoughts. i was thinking about putting a thick rubber shield around the u joints and using the chain just for loops.

I do not think this will pass tech. You need either steel or aluminum for the shields per all of the rules I know.