Using some coolant, not puking, no obvious burning.

Coxy

At the end of summer or so, i had some work done to my 05 at the dealer. They replaced the oil cooler, part of the turbo, head gaskets with ARP studs, and i scraped up enough money to do a EGR delete as well at the same time. I didnt think too much of it, It never puked again with a couple heavy tows, starts great, a bit of blueish black smoke on cool starts. Never any hint (that i can tell) of coolant smell to the exhaust, and no puking from the Degas.
I happened to be looking it over, and didnt see coolant in the bottle, added a liter and a half or so, and tried not to worry about it. I watched it like a hawk, it would be right in the ballpark when warm, barely in the bottle when cold. Notice the other day again, its down, and not commin back when its warm, another 2 liters to get it back up to par. This is over the course of say, 5000 or so miles. Oil appears to be coolant free, like i say its not puking it, and i cant see any apparent leaks. i woulda thought that even with a cracked head, or something, it would puke, or be obvious, but maybe not. Just doing some feeling out is all.
Thanks, Brian

i would do a coolant system press test and see if theres an external leak. did they change the degas bottle? sometimes the bottles crack on the bottom or the seem splits on the back side. could also be the heater control valve. sounds like a lot of coolant though seems like it would be hard to miss.

Doug, it was a kit from Adam at First Coast. welded up intake, up pipe and some bypass hoses? The crappy part is if its an external leak, im not seeing anything visible on the engine, and i park on gravel, so i dont get the luxury of seeing a puddle, or spots.

The degas bottle was not replaced, and it seems to hold pressure from what i find when i crack the cap when its warm, and again, no obvious leaks around the bottle. And 5000 miles, but over probably 6 months, with your typical winter warm up/idle time, etc.
Thanks guys, Brian

Brian, check the hose clamps and make sure they are tight, but do not over tighten as they will strip.

Brian, check the hose clamps and make sure they are tight, but do not over tighten as they will strip.

X2 I don't have his kit but similar and the little hose was leaking on top of the engine. I couldn't tell where the coolant was dissapearing to till I did a turbo swap and noticed coolant on top. If it's leaking there you should see residue from it.

Alright, sounds good. Ill climb up there and have a look around, see what i can see. If i recall correctly, there was a couple fitting/hoses on the underside of the intake as well?

There is a flat o-ring type gasket between the front cover and the intake manifold. Coolant leaks at the T from the degas bottle to the front cover and heater core leak since its a plastic T. Water pumps leak and don't always lose enough in front of you to see.

Alright, snooped around the passenger side of the intake, and did notice a little bit of white residue (cooked coolant) below the turbo. Doesnt really appear to be from the two hoses in that area.
Now, i did find a stray bolt... If your looking down right beside/below the turbo, you see a casting number, it appears to be from the rear of the casting number, looks to be just like the one that is infront of the casting number. Possible thats the source? Ill look at trying to get the bolt back in, she's tight tho! Thanks guys, ill continue looking around as well.
Brian

No bolts in that area have coolant near them. Oil cooler bolts would leak oil.

Damnit, alright. Ill work on getting that bolt back in, and clean off the white residue, see if it comes back, or if it was just some residule from when they did the work before.

Back