Using Tank Engine Specs to Build a Cummins

apocalypse1812

Nailed It!
I am a Tanker, and the USMC's premiere recovery vehicle is a M88A2, which
has a twin turbo V-12. The thing is a BEAST, and runs like a champ. well, I
was thinking about trying to build my 12 valve with the same (or as close to)
specs. Here are the specs: let me know what specs you guys think would
work, or could be implemented into my truck...

HP(Net) 893-923 @2400RPM/ TQ(Net) 2226-2313 @1800RPM
HP(Gross) 1050-1080 @ 2400RPM/ TQ(Gross) 2420-2510 @1800RPM

Bore: 5.75" / Stroke: 5.75"

Compression: 14.5:1

Displacement: 149.1 Cubic in/ Cyl.

Valve Timing:
Intake Opens 30* BTDC, Remains Open 250*, Intake Closes 40* ATDC
Exhaust Opens 63* BBDC, Remains Open 280*, Exhaust Closes 37* ATDC
Lift: 0.46"
Static Timing: 26*

And what turbo would be good for something like this?

What specs are you trying to match? Cause you sure as hell wont build it to match the bore, stroke or displacement, lol

I figured that much, I thought it was relevant to the whole of the engine...

I was thinking Compression Ratio, Injection Timing, and Cam Lift/Duration

Should yeild similar results right?

Since I cant just walk up and ask (Insert Your Favorite High Power Name) "What's Your Secret?"

I've got to start somewhere Right?

Yeah but you can buy a known-good cam for like $600...or buy a used one even cheaper....so why experiment with some $$$ custom grind, spec'ed from a tank motor that may have zero relevance to your street truck motor?

Just sayin'.

Your street truck is going to turn 50+% more RPM than you have listed. So that in and of itself would tell me you're too far out of the ballpark, and there are better ways of doing whatcha want.

Just sneak one of those V-12's off base and cram it into your truck, haha. I'd say like above you'd probably be better off just using whats out there. But then again just look up an engine/cam builder and run ideas off of them.

Cam timing its a product of displacement, head flow, and desired rpm.

It being a square engine isn't really allow much to be applied to your truck. What do you want, the power band?

Honestly, I figured that it would be a good place to start, and this wouldnt be a street truck, so I wouldnt really care about drivability anyway...

I'm Eying a 2wd Dakota, and have a 12 valve W/ auto Trans lined up.

Just thinking of ways I should try to build the engine, in order to make a good running drag truck engine. But as was said earlier: I can just walk up to the guy that I want my truck to be like, and say "Tell Me The specs on your engine"

In this highly competitive diesel world we live in, you have to have something unique to be noticed.

Back