Using water

JAS3+390

Hey guys about a year or so ago I did a repower in an old square body Chevy. Stats on the engine consist of: 95 12v bored .020 over completely rebuild from top to bottom, 90hp ddp sticks ii phatshaft 62 ddp dv's and doing 20* timing as we speek. As of now haven't done anything with AFC and am not running a plate. 4k gsks studs and fire rings. Now to the problem at hand. I noticed about half way through the year I would be low on water. I couldn't find any leaks and have no water in the oil. After about a week the pot will be empty and the radiator is starting to drop.Having the fire rings I assumed I'd never have head gasket issues but it seems that I do. What could have gone wrong? Highest boost ever hit was 45psi. The truck is a daily driver/ farm hauler/ once or twice a year local sled puller. Any idea what could have caused my issues or what my issues truly are??? Thanks in advance fellas.

Josh

I thought fire rings were notorious for cracking with lots of heat cycles.

Also 45 psi is half the psi recommended before fire rings are recommended.

Have you pressure tested the system? What style radiator is in it: plastic caps?

No I haven't pressure tested it and its the factory BBC radiator. Only plastic is the overflow bottle. This thing rarely ever gets warm. Only when I pull heavy due to weak elec fans and small rad but I won't let it get out of control. Empty running I never even have to run the fans unless I hit traffic or sit long periods of time at idle.

Back