Vacuum Pump dead

wrongway

I just bought a 91 Dodge Cummins, non-intercooled truck and everything works on it except the vacuum pump. Will a pump off of a second gen truck work on it? Or does anyone know where I can get a repair kit for the one I have? Thank's, Gary

Last edited:
You can get new diaphrams for the one you have, there are 2 of them.

Or swap to a 91.5 - 96 or so power steering / vac pump. You will need the oil feed fitting and line too. The newer trucks with hydro boost brakes have a smaller vac pump, so you should avoid them.

Thanks fella's, I just happen to have a power steering and vacuum pump off of a 96. Doe's it bolt right up, or do I need to modify the accelarator linkage bracket. That will save me some time and aggravation. gary

You might have to modify the throttle bracket, can't say for sure. It is way too bulky anyway, IMO.

If you use the '96 setup you will need the little brace for the bottom of the P/S pump too.

You need to modify the accelerator bracket, as the Wabco ('91-1/2-'97) assembly is considerably longer.
You'll also need the rear Intercooled VE rear pump support bracket and the little 'L' shaped bracket that bolts to the power steering pump and goes over to the pump support bracket.

An option would be to extend the non-intercooled VE rear pump support bracket, by way of welding on an extension, so that the 'L' bracket will bolt to it.

THIS SUPPORT IS A MUST as this keeps the longer assembly from flexing and cracking.

ONE MORE thing:
The Wabco vacuum pumps are an oil pressurized pump, so you need to grab the angled fitting and line for it off the '96 engine, BUT the '96 engine has a 'T' fitting that allows pressure to the P-pump, as well as another line.

The early, pre-Wabco vacuuum pump, engine has the oil pressure port, it's just plugged off.

Mark.