vacuum pump

Bowtie Cummins

Is there anything wrong with the 1st gen vacuum pump? It's the short compact one not the long one. What is the difference between the two?

Nothing wrong with them. The earlier '89-'91, non i/c motors have 2, diaphragm vacuum pumps, 1 facing downward and the other facing the driver's fender. The later '91.5 and up 12 valves have the vein type pump (longer housing).

I removed one of the 2 pumps on mine 3 years ago since it was leaking oil for long before I took possession of the truck. Since then, it's been doing fine on the 1 original pump so far.

Last edited:
The earlier ones are really expensive to fix too. I switched to the newer style on my '89.

well its only $15 in parts to fix the newer style. seems alot better to me.

That was my thought. I needed to replace the vac pump anyways and now I have the unit that Dodge used until hydroboost brakes came out. There's saftey in numbers is my point.

The "fix" for the earlier pumps is a replacement. What do you do when you need a new pump rather than just resealing it? What does a replacement vein-style pump cost?

New anything is expensive. A new one isn't needed unless catastrophic failure happens. I saw what happens when the old style pump disintegrates its bearing and sends shrapnel into the front gear case. That alone was a good enough reason to swap pumps for me. My luck isn't the best:hehe:

In what way? New pumps are only about $150. Not terrible.

$150 each. Just priced a rebuild b/c the lower diaphragm on my 89' quit pumping after the engine swap. So it would cost you $300 to put new diaphrams on an early style pump if you do the labor yourself.

Call Peter Gould ( he Makes the rebuild kits) he knows a ton about these things and what is involved in adapting the newer style.

Back