Valve Guide Seals, WTH?

97Rebel

I've got the cylinder head off of my truck to R&R the head gasket and install some studs.

I ordered an upper engine gasket set and the valve guide seal are different than what is on the Head now. The old style is on the left, the new (hat) style on the right (see first pic).

The problem is the new style seal is not fitting. After some measuring there is a difference of about .050" with the ID of the Hat type seal being to small to fit the protrusion on the head.

Are these new style seals intended to be pressed into location? .050" seems to be a lot for a press fit? Second pic is of the valve guide area on the head.

Attachments

• Cummins 002.jpg
    Cummins 002.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Cummins 003.jpg
    Cummins 003.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 35
Yes , the blue seals are replacing the black and orange. The kit doesn't tell you that you need the other new parts to make them work .You can still buy the old seals.

I have talked with Cummins support many of times about a notice of some sort or include the rest of the items to make the new blue seal work.

Yes , the blue seals are replacing the black and orange. The kit doesn't tell you that you need the other new parts to make them work .You can still buy the old seals.

I have talked with Cummins support many of times about a notice of some sort or include the rest of the items to make the new blue seal work.

What other parts/items. I didn't see it in the other post.

What other parts/items. I didn't see it in the other post.

When I went through this, Cummins kept calling it valve rotators. Intake was something like $10, exhaust was $45ish. Still looking at $300 to redo that. They couldn't find the old style seals, said they were discontinued. Talked to Jeff (Snedge) and hooked me up with the righ part number for the old seals.

Funny thing was, the top end kit I bought and the one they said had the rotators was about a $40 differnece. Seperately, it was a lot more.

Yes, it is a new retainer that is required to use the new seals. Just get the old seals and be done.

Valve guide seals

Thanks for everyone's input. Using the 3921640 part number listed in the other post I called Mumau Diesel and ordered the old style seals, problem solved:D

Warning: Rant On
I will say that it's complete BS for Cummins Corp. to sell a upper gasket kit with valve guide seals that you can't use unless you have the valve rotators. For the $240 bucks they get for an upper engine gasket set you would think they would throw in both kinds of seals. :bang

Also let me throw "Cheyenne Peterbuilt" under the buss. I ordered the gasket set from them and it took 3 fricking weeks and several phone calls to finally get the gasket set. Save yourself aggravation and get your parts elsewhere.
Rant off.

Thanks for everyone's input. Using the 3921640 part number listed in the other post I called Mumau Diesel and ordered the old style seals, problem solved:D

Warning: Rant On
I will say that it's complete BS for Cummins Corp. to sell a upper gasket kit with valve guide seals that you can't use unless you have the valve rotators. For the $240 bucks they get for an upper engine gasket set you would think they would throw in both kinds of seals. :bang

Also let me throw "Cheyenne Peterbuilt" under the buss. I ordered the gasket set from them and it took 3 fricking weeks and several phone calls to finally get the gasket set. Save yourself aggravation and get your parts elsewhere.
Rant off.

The parts dept should tell you at the time of the sale of the gasket kit,there is a note on the part # beside the price.

The old valve seal can still be bought .

Back